wellness

Thread: wellness

Defaultwellness

i'm thinking of switching my 8mos old lab & 7yr old portugues water dog from solid gold to either wellness venison or fish & sweet potato, because my pwd has inhalant allergies (he gets a weekly shot), and i think he will do better w/less ingredients. any ideas in how my doooodle will do on wellness?
    thanks, rob
    "Ingredients:
    Whitefish, Ground Barley (dehulled), Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Ground Pearled Barley, Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomato Pomace (natural source of lycopene), Natural Fish Flavor, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Choline Chloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin K Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Taurine
    Old Mother Hubbard uses ethoxyquin-free meat sources.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (minimum) 22
    Crude Fat (minimum) 12
    Moisture (maximum) 11
    Crude Fiber (maximum) 3* "
    "Ingredients:
    Ground Brown Rice, Venison, Brown Rice Protein, Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Venison Flavor, Taurine plus Vitamins and Minerals.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (Min) 21
    Crude Fat (Min) 12
    Moisture (Max) 11
    Crude Fiber (Max) 3
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids (Min) 2.5
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Min) 0.5

More Info.:
    By limiting the amount of ingredients the formulas limit dogs exposure to known allergens. USDA-inspected Deboned Duck and New Zealand-raised Venison are both highly nutritious and tasty alternative proteins that dogs crave"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: wellness

I don't understand why you would switch the dogs food because of inhalent allergies. Inhalent allergies are caused by pollen, dust, etc. Food allergies are caused by food.

If the dog is doing well on the food currently, don't switch him. Continually switching foods can actually cause more problems than it corrects as the dog is exposed to more and more ingredients further increasing the risk for food allergies.

well, andy the pwd, gets a shot of all the molds, pollen, etc once a week--so we have the inhalant crap taken care of, but he still has eye crud (daily), pink-eye and still chews his paws. i'm thinking of having him go through the poke test again but the test showed no allergies twice. the vet said his adrenaline kicked in. anyway, she took blood which showed a big list of stuff he's allergic to, but that was 5yrs ago. i'm thinking of trying a limited ingredient food first. i always felt solid gold a premium food. tina-louise was on wolf-cub but now i have her on the adult hund-n-flocken.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I feed Chloe the lamb and rice Wellness and it has helped immensely!!! She's allergic to wheat, corn, and soy so she was constantly getting yeast infections in her ears. :'( We switched her food to this and within three months she was doing great. ;D It's been about 6 months since her last infections and what a relief that is and she's is feeling soo much better.

Good Luck!!!

~Elizabeth

Please tell Chloe that a friend named Lya has those horrible ear problems as well. We have been one month without an ear infection! Cross fingers.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco