7 week Puppy "Spots: on Face/Nose area...........Concerned?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 week Puppy "Spots: on Face/Nose area...........Concerned?

The Plumber is offline Junior Member

Default7 week Puppy "Spots: on Face/Nose area...........Concerned?

New to the forum.....Been reading up a lot since new Chocolate male should be coming home next week. Great info on this site. I do need some guidance.
    I took one last visit this past weekend to see the little guy. A little FYI: this is an English Male from a well known Long Time Breeder w champion lines(confirmed) that I am bringing home next week at 8 weeks. One thing that has us a little concerned is these few yellow spots near puppies face/nose area. Breeder said it is little marks from rough play and biting each other and that it will go away. I Just couldn't understand that why would the hair be discolored, its not a bald spot???? little dots like 1/2 size of a pencil eraser as if u dipped it in cream colored powder. Gonna try to submit a pic (not the greatest) someone may have an idea of what it is. 2 weeks ago there was one dot. Now there are like 6-8 near nose area. We like the breeder who came very highly recomended and also are attached to this puppy.
    FYI at time of this visit there was a female pup (same litter) who was isolated which she wasn't 2 weeks ago. Breeder said she was nipped while w/ playing other puppies and that her face was nipped got infected and is on antibiotics. although she wasn't contagious she didn't want the other puppies to play rough or nip her anymore in the nose or face. This pup had twice as many little of these dots. I did witness the puppies all other littermates playing and small biting which they should be doing. She did notice my concern and did say if I had any reservations she would refund my deposit. She assured me this was nothing though.
    I'm hoping someone can say yes this is a common thing w some puppies and Will go away. Other than that he a very happy pup. Bothered us more.. If he was a yellow you wouldn't be able to tell....Below are 2 pics.. Thank You.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

champion lines - are the actual parents competing in conformation?
    do both parents have all theor clearances? hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn?

Yes.......Father is AM/CH and the mother does not show but her parents did and both were AM/CH. Very reputable breeder and yes both Parents have the clearances. Maybe they are exactly that, just couple of battle wounds from the littermates. Just figure maybe someone here has seen it in the past. No matter what, if the haven't gotten any worse I will Have my vet Look first hand to get his opinion. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

i would not be impressed no. nor that a sibling was being segregated.

I agree. but I have to admit the breeder did not make any excuses like they will not be home or is going away for weekend, or cannot keep my appointment. They still kept my opening for a visit. The Segregated puppy was still in same room. Just in a little pen off to the side by herself. The breeder didn't try to hide the other dog from view. I am not a vet but if what she said is true and does happen, then it could make sense. If the other puppy did have an infected nose from the play biting from other puppies in the pen, I also wouldn't want her with the others and risk getting nipped again until that nose heals. After all, I would think these Professional Breeders business are all built on reputation. Anyway I thought I would have gotten a few more responses of "oh yea I have seen those or yes my puppy also had those and are nothing to worry and will go away" Just one of those things I wasn't hoping I would have to encounter 1 week before pick up. As for our little guy, although had a couple of these "spots or Dots" on snout did seem to act just like a normal puppy. Thanks though.
    Keep ya posted.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Seems weird. I can't tell anything from the photos though. I've had puppies in the past and none of them wore battle scars from playing with their littermates.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've raised 19 litters in the past almost 20 yrs, and have never had battle wounds from play. Further, I have a good friend w/ rambunctious lines (field) and have never seen it w/ them either.
    The only battle scar I have ever seen on a pup was after my 11 wk old male was bit by a rattler on the muzzle last year... so iow, it takes a fairly good sized injury to cause scarring (coat color change) and it usually doesn't show right away ime.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

loganwms88 is offline Junior Member

Looks like allergies to me. My boy had the same problem. I switched his food to Purina 1 and he got better. If that does no work it could be outside allergies. Try to see if your pup itches after being outside

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd seriously doubt it's allergies at that young of an age.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Update......picked up dog and explained my concern that if my vet had any concerns I could bring dog back w complete refund. They had no problem and did welcome that idea. Vet visit went fine..he said those small marks are white scars on the skin healing from puppy play. Further inspection on my end you can see it was on the skin not hair as I first thought.
    So visit went great. Only negative was puppy positive for roundworm. Vet said extremely common usually from mother during nursing. Pup was deformed 2,4,6 weeks from breeder. He said very early stages and gave me 3 days of a white powder to put on food once a day. First nite was 4 hr between potty, 2nd was 5 hr and last 2 notes were down at 9:30 and up at 5:30. I spent last 5 days w him and have him sitting on command w treat of kibble.
    Just this dog outside wants to eat every pebble stick and leaf so constantly w " drop it" and trying to grab it out of mouth.
    Not that great on a leash yet. If he doesn't want to walk he sits. I wanted to keep him off stairs for a while but he has no prob going up 5 deck staid and sits by door when he wants to go in. Starting to know his potty dance. Only a couple accidents in house. I also chop up raw carrots very small and use to work on commands w him. Not a lot. Few pieces a day. Anyway a awesome site. The small bit of success so far I have learned by reading this site.
    Dog Loves to chew and a little nippy w kids feet. They want to get on floor w him but he's a little jumpy. So it will take time. If follow up roundworm test comes up negative should I ask for 1 last treatment, to make sure any egs left are killed off????????? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast