Broken Tail?

Thread: Broken Tail?

Yvette is offline Junior Member

DefaultBroken Tail?

G'day

Yesterday, my 4 y.o. black lab went for a long walk on lead, went for a swim in the dam, was tied up for a short period, travelled in the car and came home.

We didn't notice anything unusual other than she was a bit more upset than usual in the car and couldn't get comfortable. When we were at home, she wasn't happy to lay on her bed but couldn't get comfortable on the floor either and kept changing positions. I noticed that she wasn't wagging and her tail was quite close to her bottom.

This morning, she can't seem to wag her tail. It feels a bit skinnier at one point a couple of inches from her bottom.

She is running around, chasing the ball but won't sit. I am not pushing it but when i asked her to sit, her tail stayed under her like she is having trouble moving it. I touched the tip whilst she was not looking and she turned around (so i think she still has feeling).

I am wondering whether she has broken it, or damaged it. Has anybody experienced this before?

It is Easter Sunday here, so i don't know if a vet is available. I am trying to find a 24 hour vet or phone line but thought i would try here as well.

Thanks,

Yvette and Missy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Broken Tail?

Rather sounds like limber tail (sometimes referred to as cold tail) to me. Here are a couple of articles about it:

http://canadasguidetodogs.com/health/injury.htm

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/limbertail-update704.html

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

You can also place Preparation H hemorrhoid cream (not the generic), use as directed. This helps with inflammation and pain. Got this off a breeder forum.
    <br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The articles describe exactly what we are seeing. Thanks heaps for the info.

It is getting cooler here (heading into Winter), so perhaps that may be the last dam swim for a few months.

Thanks,

Yvette and Missy

JakesMom is offline Junior Member

Jake just had a case of Cold Tail this past week. He was so uncomfortable he would not get off of me. I ended up sleeping on the floor with him. There was no way he could sleep in between me & my DH. After I figured out what his problem was, I gave him aspirin. Thank goodness it only lasted about 24 hours. Jake was a 90# leech.
    Jake &amp; Tracey<br /><br />Life&#039;s a journey.....

Is that human aspirin? what human medications can be given to dogs?

i have an anti-inflam gel with active ingredient diclofenac sodium. would that be ok to apply?

would a heat pack help?

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Yes you can give human asprin but make sure its buffered so as not to upset his stomach. Don't ever give him Tylonol, it can be fatal to dogs and cats.
    His tail should be better in a day or two.
    Olie

Missy is starting to get her wag back, and seems so much more comfortable.

The top of her tail is still in close to her bottom, but she is moving the bottom of it, and can move it out of the way to sit.

I'm guessing tomorrow or the next day, the tail will be back to normal. It is quite a lethal weapon when she gets excited, and we will be back to staying out of the way or suffer bruises from the force that is.

Cheers,

Yvette

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Glad to hear that Missy's tail is getting better.