Dandruff

Thread: Dandruff

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultDandruff

I just noticed that my pup has dandruff. Her coat seems healthy (other than the profuse shedding ) aside from that. Is she lacking something? Getting too much of something? I switched her from a chicken to a lamb based diet awhile back so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.?? She gets a little salmon once a week. Her skin is fine, although she does seem to have some sort of an irritation around her mouth/lips/jowls. I'm guessing that's an allergy.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dandruff

How old is she?

Nick - She's about 16 months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well scratch that, I noticed where you called her a "pup" and thought it maybe the normal puppy dandruff (I figured I'd ask her age 'cause I still call Jes a pup at age 3).

Two other things I picked up on with your description, if she just blew (or is in the process of blowing) her coat, that may do it. Jes will get a bit of dandruff for about a week afterwards. Another possibility (if the rash around the mouth is allergy related) is allergies. I know my allergies are killing me right now with all the trees and flowers in bloom.

Does the food you feed have omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids added?

Nick - She's been blowing coat for about a month now.* I think (hope!) it might be letting up a bit.* I was brushing her this morning and noticed how much dandruff she had.* Being yellow it doesn't stand out much until you are really looking or brushing.* I've been feeding Sensible Choice Lamb & Rice for about 4 months (a Royal Canin product).* Prior to that same product but chicken and rice.* I'm currently switching back to chicken, but that's only this past week, and the dandruff seemed to start about two weeks ago.* I know I clipped the ingredients tag off before I threw the bag out, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.* It's supposed to be a good food and was recommended.* *I've also been giving her a can of sardines (packed in water) once a week.* (I just switched to salmon because I thought the sardines might be a bit salty for her)* Her skin (other than being a little irritated around her mouth) looks fine, but she has always been an itchy dog right from day one.* I know that her mouth is itchy because that is where she scratches the most, and scratching no doubt makes it worse.* She also has yeasty ears, but we've been able to keep this under good control lately.* Any suggestions?* Thanks.* *Although she seems to have shed enough fur to make two more dogs, I should add that she doesn't really have a thick coat.* Surprisingly it doesn't seem much different now than it did before it started to blow.* I would imagine her coat would thicken up if she spent more time outdoors, but other than walks etc., she's pretty much totally a house dog.

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice

I see where they list omega-6 fatty acids, but not omega-3. The fish you're supplying should help, though and if the dandruff just started, I'd wait and see if it's the shedding/weather. If it persists, then I'd start looking at the food.

Thanks Nick. If it is by chance the food then it would be the Lamb and Rice that she's been on for the past 4 months. For other reasons I'm in process of switching back to Chicken and Rice right now, so if Lamb was the culprit it should improve after awhile on the chicken.

This is her first year for "blowing coat," so I guess that is another possibility.

Thanks again for your help.