After whelping worming question

Thread: After whelping worming question

57ringo is offline Junior Member

DefaultAfter whelping worming question

My female chocolate lab ate part of a rabbit after she was bred and has tape worms so I did not worm her during pregnancy. She had pups Dec 20th and I've read where not to worm her until after I wean the pups also have read to worm the pups starting at 2 weeks and some say not until 6 weeks. What is the right way to do this? Will worming her now before weaning the pups hurt the pups?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

I highly suggest talking to a vet, a professional.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Worming of your adult is fine now w/ the correct product. Do ask your vet, and don't go buying the crap over the counter at the local store as that tends to be more toxic. I'm guessing that your vet may prescribe Panacur as that is a broad spectrum, but very safe dewormer. They probably should have done that before whelp in reality so you weren't dealing w/ a bunch of parasites at birth. Treating Canine Parasites with Fenbendazole for Dogs
    Fenbendazole treatment of pregnant bitches to reduce prenatal and l... - PubMed - NCBI
    MOst of us who breed start deworming w/ pyrantel pamoate (for roundworms only) at 2 wks and every 2 wks thereafter btw, so you really need to be working w/ a competent vet!!!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

57ringo is offline Junior Member

I worm her with Virbantel from my vet but like I said before, she ate at least one rabbit and got worms after she was pregnant so I didn't want to chance having something happen to her during pregnancy by worming her. Most everything I've read said there is a chance of problems. My vet said wait until after she had them to worm her but I since it's the holidays, I haven't spoken with him as he IS a very competent vet. I was just wanting to see what most on here did in my dogs situation. I have Sentry hc wormXplus which is the same as Virbantel and that's what I was planning to use on her.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

According the info on the website: Virbantel Chewable Tablets | Revival Animal Health

- safe for use in puppies 12 weeks or older and adult dogs. Safety in breeding dogs and pregnant bitches has not been tested.

This would not be my choice. Panacur IS safe for your bitch now (and was also during pregnancy), and it's what many reproductive vets recommend. Panacur C Canine Dewormer for Animal Use - Drugs.com
    Had your vet prescribed this while pregnant, you'd not be dealing w/ this in young puppies now too. I really don't know what will be safe for the babies until 6wks now. Hopefully there is something because parasites can cause a lot of issues in puppies that are life long (gut, immune, etc).

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

lovingly1 is offline Member

Actually 57ringo it may be that an over the counter product is not that similar though we sympathize with you as to the costs involved in raising puppies. The products made by some of these companies can be bad, especially the flea and tick drops. People have had terrible experiences with them. You can get Panacur cheaply, it cost us less than 10 bucks.