online pet meds

Thread: online pet meds

josiejoe is offline Junior Member

Defaultonline pet meds

Hope someone can offer advice for my 9yo lab with mild arthritis. I want to order online METACAM from DR.FOSTER and SMITH. We are looking at long term use of this product.

My vet will require me to sign a waiver in order to give the prescription unless I order from VETCENTRIC. She says she is concerned re Qulaity of product, authenticity of product, storage and says meds can be sold only to vets (which apparently VETCENTRIC has). I assume she has a working relationship with VETMETRIC.

As look @ FOSTER/SMITH site, it looks sound to me.
    What do you think? Do you order your meds on line?
    Anything I am missing in my thought process? Travel to get meds and $$ are my motivation for ordering online.
    Thank you for your opinion, Jeanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: online pet meds

Vetcentric is something all vets are using now ... I'm not sure the prices are much different than getting from your own vet, because from what I understand, they do have a "relationship" with veternarians. At least I've seen it with several vets around here. I'm very fortunate to have a vet who gives me a prescription for anything and let's me get it filled wherever. She knows that the practice she works for overcharges for everything and having 7 dogs you can't always pay top dollar for everything. I have ordered meds from entirelypets.com for years and have been very pleased with them. Hopefully, others will weigh in with their experiences, but I do know that Fosters and Smith has a pretty good reputation, although a bit higher than some of the others.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I have also used www.entirelypets.com * Other places I've used are http://www.petvetdirect.com/home.asp and http://www.paylessvet.com/* I've been pleased with all of these so far.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HunterLilly is offline Member

I talked with my vet about ordering my girls heart worm medicine from Drs Foster and Smith. She advised me against it for the same reasons - she was worried about how and where they store their medications. She also told me that alot of drug companies will only stand by their products (in case of problems with them) if they are sold from a vet. I know you are asking about a different product, but my vet had similar things to say. I chose to order the meds directly from my veterinarian. Good luck in your search.
    <br /><br />Rumbustious, rambunctious, and delinquent dogs become angelic when sitting.* -Dunbar<br />Jessica - mom to- Hunter and Lilly, Born Aug. 10, 2005

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

I found that the price I paid from my vet for Metacam was only a few dollars less at the online stores so I bought from her. However, I had an old vet that charged a lot more for meds and shots and gave the same excuses about meds being stored improperly, except the online stores actually go through a lot more stock than the regular vets, plus; the online stores are usually run by vets (Foster and Smith are vets). You do have to watch the Frontline as the foreign stuff will not be guaranteed, so if you compare prices you need to ask if it's made in the US. Info on counterfeit http://www.frontline.com/epa/

Scrubs Ahava is offline Junior Member

i have used www.jefferspet.com and been happy with them. Since i life in the same region they are in things ship standard UPS groud to me next day, which is good for anything that needs to be kept cool. I ordered scrubs vaccines through them and everything seemed good with them. I actually gave the label to my vet to put in Scrubs file and he was comfortable with manufacturer (just as long as they were kept cool, etc). I cleared this with my vet before i ordered them.
    Also you may want to ask your vet if they match prices. My vet will also match prices on things such as heartgard, frontline, etc. Yes you do pay tax and whatnot by getting it from the vet, but thats worth it to me. Just ask all they can say is no.

josiejoe is offline Junior Member

Thank you everyone very much for your ideas!*
    It seems that there is a balance of pros and cons about online ordering. *I did see that Foster and Smith among others had vet affiliations. *In particular F and S was about $36 less for 100ml METACAM compared to VETCENTRIX and compared to my vet. *That was significant!

The point about product moving quickly from online vendors is interesting. *A great idea to ask vet to match the pricing.
    I will gather my nerve and ask- I could hear she was quite against online except for VETCENTRIC.

I am going to also post on general forum if you don' t mind.
    Thank you again for taking the time to anwer me with your ideas.
    Jeanne