turns nose up at food

Thread: turns nose up at food

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Defaultturns nose up at food

Over this past winter Oona had cronic ear infections. She is generating alot of ear wax and the vet and I have come to the conclusion that she may have a food allergy to wheat and/or corn. She was eating a cup of Iams Large Breed mixed with a small can of Iams Chicken and Rice. Now she gets a combo wet/dry of Natures Recipe Lamb Barley and Rice. The problem is she walks up to the dish smells it and walks away, or just eats the wet food and spits out the dry. Any suggestions?
    Olie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: turns nose up at food

Any dog will choose canned food over dry. If you want to avoid using canned food, give kibble mixed with tepid water, put it down for about 15-20 minutes, pick it up and don't feed her until her next feeding (no treats, either). You will have to start out with fresh bowl of food (meaning don't put the previously moistened food back down). Put the second meal down for 15-20 mins, pick it up. Do this for a few days, she'll start eating.
    <br />Oregon

TimC. is offline Senior Member

No I want to continue giving her a mix of wet and dry, but I want her to eat the dry food as well. The guy at the pet store said just give her dry food only until she accepts it, then I can add the wet food.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

If it just started when you switched dry foods it sounds like she doesn't like the new dry. I would try a different dry brand and stop the canned for awhile.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Why do you want her to eat wet food? Wet food can put extra lbs. on a dog and you are left with no "tempting food" if she/he were to become ill and you needed to coax to eat.
    I'd try a different brand, moistened with lukewarm water and do as kiddsmom said.