I appreciate everyone who reads these and responds as I seem to have a LOT of questions. I just don't want to screw up this dog!

Here is my question: my dog is healthy and has checked out fine at the vet so I know it isn't any health related issue but he drinks a TON of water. If I leave him to it, he will drink an entire bowl of water in one sitting. I read that a dog needs about an ounce of water per pound that he weighs so I put down 2 1/4 cups of water (since he is about 17 pounds) and he drank it all in less than 2 hours. I have started picking it up or putting less in the bowl at a time and filling it up after a bit because I don't want to take him out every hour because he thought he had to have the whole bowl right away. Sometimes he seems obsessive about it, he will whine and pace the couch trying to get down (he hasn't figured out how to jump down on his own yet) to get at it and if I let him drink a bit and then redirect his attention, he walks away and will play for a while but he will go back to it and try to get it all until the bowl is dry.

Will he grow out of this? Does picking up the water or shooing him away from it after he sits there for 5 straight minutes of drinking make this behavior worse? Is there something I need to do to get him to calm down about his drinking water? Is he drinking it because he thinks he is starving to death (he isn't)?

He doesn't throw up afterward so maybe I just think he is drinking too much when he isn't and maybe I am just overreacting?