Food Switching
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Switching

dtabor is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood Switching

I currently feed my 3yo Iams Large Breed. I believe Im going to switch over to regular Iams Large Breed adult food. Since it is the same company, is it basically the same or will I have to mix it in gradually?

D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food Switching

um i'm not grasping your question. what's the difference between the two?

i wouldn't bother with a large breed adult food. i'd just feed him the regular iams chunks or mini-chunks and bypass the large breed adult food altogether.

i also never blend foods while switching. my dogs get a cold switch and never have stomach issues. if your dog isn't usually sensitive to foods, i wouldn't bother blending.

Laura

Labby,

Sorry if my question was confusing....right now, I am feeding the Iams LB food, I want to switch over to just the regular Iams chunks. I understand that when switching foods, you are supposed to do so gradually, mixing in a little of the new at a time until it is all new. Im wondering if I have to go thru this process since I am just going from LB food to the chunks but staying within the same brand?

D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    um i'm not grasping your question. what's the difference between the two?

i wouldn't bother with a large breed adult food. i'd just feed him the regular iams chunks or mini-chunks and bypass the large breed adult food altogether.

i also never blend foods while switching. my dogs get a cold switch and never have stomach issues. if your dog isn't usually sensitive to foods, i wouldn't bother blending.
    Really labby? Well obviously really since you said so. Is your belief that if they are having a problem on one food why switch them gradually? In a big way that makes sense to me. Not to mention, with a dog's sense of smell being soo much keener than ours I can't imagine we are fooling them by mixing the foods.
    ~Lindsay

As usual, I get the answers I need when I ask here!!

Thank you Labby.

D

ok, now i understand. i looked at the post and couldn't figure it out. i personally would not gradually switch between the two. i would just do it and see how it goes, but that's just me.

lindsey, exactly. if i'm switching foods its usually because i'm not liking what i'm seeing. i'm an instant gratification kinda girl. i just switch. again, that's how i do it with my dogs who never have a problem with switching foods. in fact, i ran out of teddie's lb puppy food and said oh what the heck and just started her on the same food her father is eating. no troubles at all.

i will say, if i was seeing gastrointestinal issues i would do a slow switch.

Laura

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    i will say, if i was seeing gastrointestinal issues i would do a slow switch.
    Gotcha.
    ~Lindsay

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Laura, that is interesting that you don't make a gradual switch. One time we made a mistake and gave a can, a small can mind you, of Iams and I had to stay home from work the next day because she had explosive stool.
    Olie

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Had you already been giving canned food? Canned food can be richer and harder to digest. A lot of times, very young puppies require a gradual switch as their tummies have not adjusted to new foods as of yet. I no longer do a gradual switch with my guys ... had to with Zoe as a puppy, but she changes over fine now.

like i said, this is what i do. doesn't mean its right for everyone. plus we were talking about adult dogs not puppies.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast