How to treat burns on my lab's neck before getting him into the vet?

Thread: How to treat burns on my lab's neck before getting him into the vet?

CubsWin is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to treat burns on my lab's neck before getting him into the vet?

To make a long story short, I have just noticed some sizeable burns on the under-side of my labrador's neck that are causing him some discomfort. He doesn't appear to be in terrible pain, but he can definitely feel something. I tried calling our veterinary office and they are closed for the night and the only emergency clinic is out of town. Based on the way he is acting, I don't think this necessitates and out of town emergency visit, but we want to do as much as we can for him tonight before getting him into the vet tomorrow. Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning and what we can put on the burns tonight? Would Neosporin be ok to put on the sores? Can we give him Tylenol or anything similar to help with the discomfort for now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CubsWin is offline Junior Member

After getting everything cleaned up and doing some more research, we concluded that the sores weren't actually burns but a pressure necrosis that had begun to bleed/ooze. We cleaned the area very well with warm water, then dried it and applied Bactine to the irritated areas. The affected area looks much better now and our dog is relaxing comfortably. I will re-check it in the morning to determine whether a vet visit is needed, but with how well everything cleaned up I think it is possible the area may heal on its own. That is a big relief after how nasty the initial blood and matting appeared.

I will add that this is why shock collars come with a warning not to leave them on for extended periods of time. My wife thought it was a bark collar and left it on our dog too long while I was out of town. Even though the battery was dead in the collar and it was incapable of even providing a light static correction, the pressure from the metal contacts caused some pretty nasty irritation. I feel bad that he had to go through that, but thankfully everything appears to be under control now.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

holy $hit

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

CubsWin,
    You write like an intelligent person, so why the need for bark collars and e-collar (please don't call it a "shock" collar) for everyday use? I have nothing against e-collars personally in the right hands, but perhaps a good obedience class would better serve you and your wife?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Archie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    CubsWin,
    You write like an intelligent person, so why the need for bark collars and e-collar (please don't call it a "shock" collar) for everyday use? I have nothing against e-collars personally in the right hands, but perhaps a good obedience class would better serve you and your wife?

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Oh my God. I would have Mommy guilt soooooo bad.... Piper would be eating off the counter, sleeping in my bed, I'd probably be unemployed and homeless because we would be living at the dog park and lake... God knows what I would do to over compensate...has your wife bought out the toy and treat aisles yet???