Adequan?

Thread: Adequan?

Castaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdequan?

Advice please from anyone who has used or knows anything about this so called miracle drug? It would be for an aging GS mix who back end is slowing ginving up, she bunny hops rather than runs these days, and finds stairs tricky. Otherwise still thinks shes just a young slip of a thing. Thanks.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Adequan?

i tried it with boomer and murphy, giving the injections myself with instructions by my vet. i didn't see any difference at all even after 3 vials. like anything else, it works for some but not all.

Laura

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

It all depends on the dog. My other dog, it did wonders for. He was on it for about 3 years but eventually it was not as effective and he was put on Rimadyl. I've also used it on my horses and it didn't do squat.
    <br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I just finished a loading dose (8 injections) on my dog with elbow dysplasia. He is doing great, but I don't know how much I can attribute to Adequan alone. If you can spare the money ($300 for the medicine itself for us; I did the injections myself), it probably won't hurt to try. ???

Thanks, thats rather what I expected, next problem will undoubtedly be how on earth we get in the outer reaches of Europe!
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Check with some horse vets, they may have it. Adequan was initially made and used on horses.
    <br />Oregon

Thanks but very few horses here, and no horse vets!
    I think she will stick with nsaids as they are working... I think cost and difficulty may outweigh the possible benefits.

Thanks for the replies all.

Paola is offline Senior Member

I've been using it on the G. for 2 years. He gets weekly shots - loading dose was twice a week. When we reduced to less than once a week it did nothing. Now I have cut down on most of his supplements other than this, hyaluronic acid, salmon oil and some herbs (namely, bromelain and boswellia).

I get 7 x 5ml vials (for his size that's 2 1/2 shots) at about 240 euros. If you need them, I can get them and send them over to you. They actually are cheaper here than in the States.
    The only caveat are liver and diabetes problems.

The general feeling now is that as Lucky is 10 years old, and already has a badly deformed forleg from a break before she was found as a stray puppy, that carrying on with NSaids, which are helping her quality of life a great deal, is the best course ( and much cheaper) I think on a younger dog she may have been persuaded to give it a go, but it doesnt appear to be such a miracle drug as first appeared.

nanabearski is offline Senior Member

I also recommend the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Bear is just 2 1/2 and she was limping for over a month due to her mild Hip Displasya, I started on Glucosamine (very agressively) and Acupunture (But Aquapunture had a faster result). Also reduce the high impact exercise to a minimum. You may not have as fast results as I did because your dog is 7 1/2 yrs older than mine... but it complement the NSAIDs it wouldnt hurt. Massage also helps. It can't be possible that all that doesnt help, it took me over a month but Bear is back to normal

let us know how it goes.

Adriana

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Adriana owned by Bear &amp; Bunny<br />