This is the first time I have posted here, but I have been reading this board off and on for over a year. I am now desperate for help and advice. I have a four year old 80 pound chocolate lab that I adopted from a rescue two years ago. Two weeks ago he had arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder for a torn bicep tendon. (he had been limping since the middle of January). The doctor found some unusual particles floating in the joint during the surgery that have since been identified as synovial cell sarcoma. Please forgive me if the details are not exact, this information was delivered over the phone and I could not even concentrate after the doctorís first sentence. To make the long and traumatic story short, they have given us three options to consider over the weekend. First, do nothing right now and continue to treat his pain with medication. Right now I donít know if heís in pain because of the cancer or because of the recovery of the surgery, heís currently taking Rimadyl. Second, radiation and chemo, which may work in stopping the progression but is extremely expensive and I donít know what the side effects are of this choice. Lastly, amputation of the leg. Iíve never been faced with a decision like this and I donít even know where to start. I certainly donít want him to suffer. It seemed that the doctor favored amputation. If anyone has had any experience with any of this I would certainly appreciate any input you may have.
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. I can't offer any advice, I hope someone is able to help you but people might not be on to respond til tomorrow.
I am so sorry to hear this... my Copper had a mast cell tumor.. removed last month... I know it is not nearly as serious but I know what you are going through when I heard that word I almost dropped the phone.... you truly need to do what you feel in your heart is the right choice.. Go over all your options.... and discuss with the Vet what he feels is the best decision.... regardless how much you trust your vet... if not I would go to an oncologist... and get another opinion... that is what I would do. Hang in there... i know you have a lump in your throat and are sick to your stomach... but i would take a deep breathe and see a specialist.. (((HUG)))))
I agree with 'copptob', a second opinion might be useful.
If you have a Veterinary Teaching Univeristy Clinic within driving distance of you, that might be a good place for another evaluation of the situation.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers
Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09
So sorry. Get a second opinion. I actually would favor amputation if that would end the problem over chemo. They actually do just fine, especially since he is young. Good luck.
Oh gosh, I am so sorry.
Having never been in this situation, I have zero advice for you. Having said that, were I in your position, I would most definitely get a 2nd opinion.
Please, let us know what happens. There are so many knowledgeable folks here who can offer you support and advice.
Sending you best wishes!
Murphy, Riley, and Piper
Thank you so much for your input and best thoughts.
I guess I should have mentioned this in my first post.* Since this whole thing started (his initial shoulder surgery), he has been treated by doctors that are in one of the top veterinary specialist practices in the state of Texas.* Two of the oncologists in this practice are ones we are working with about the cancer also.* They both have come to the same conclusion, unfortunately.* And you are right copptob, thatís exactly how I feel, the lump in the throat and sick to my stomach.* Iím so highly emotional right now that I donít know if I trust myself to make the right decision.* I do know that I only need think about what would be best for him and his quality of life, not what I might selfishly want.
txteddy... if you need to talk please feel free to PM me... I know I was walking around in a fog for weeks after I heard Copper had a Malignant MCT....
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. We are meeting with the surgeon and the oncologist again in the morning to make our decision.
Have the docs been able to give you a life expectance estimate should chemo be helpful?
When the vet mentioned that option for my cat, they estimated the life extension to four to six months.
That might help you to weigh in on the varables.
When my husband's dog was faced with a potential amputation, I thought my husband was going to faint on me. He said later that it was one of the worse days of his life. We are feeling for you!!!!