Sabbath is getting BIG - Am I Still Feeding Him Enough ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabbath is getting BIG - Am I Still Feeding Him Enough ???

DAWG is offline Member

DefaultSabbath is getting BIG - Am I Still Feeding Him Enough ???

The last time Sabbath was weighed was 3 weeks ago. And he weighed in at 102.4 lbs. Sabbath at that time was just over 28 inches at the withers. His height has slowed and may have stopped now. I Know that he is still growing and that he has not filled out yet. From what I understand is that he will keep growing/filling out up to 2 years old. I know that he may not keep growing that long, some do and some don't. Sabbath just turned 16 months old.

I am still feeding Sabbath 2 cups twice a day of Blue Buffalo. I was giving him all dry. About 4 months ago I started giving him 1 can of Blue Buffalo and 1 cup of dry in the morning. In the evening I would give him his 2 cups of dry. Now I have read that a dog 75+ pounds should be fed 2-4 cups each meal. I ask because I'm thinking that he wants more food. Sometimes he will go back to his bowl licking it, sometimes shortly after and other times hours later. Sabbath will do this after both meals now. In the past he never did this.

Oh one other thing, Sabbath now does not get all the training treats he was getting in the past. And I did reduce his food then to compensate for the treats given to him for training.

So what do you think I should do? I am thinking of adding a half cup each meal and see how that goes. If his behavior continues I will make it a cup, bring it to 3 cups a meal, 6 cups for the day. I will also watch and see if he eats it all or leaves some in the bowl each meal. I just don't want to start over feeding him so he becomes overweight.

I know that there is nothing in the pic for scale but you can see that he is not overweight. This pic was taken and posted about a month and a half ago. At This Thread w/more pix

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I've never fed more than 2 cups per meal. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of canned. You have a big lab, better keep him lean for ortho reasons.

DAWG is offline Member

That's what I'm concerned with that he will get overweight and have health problems later. So today I did start giving him a 1/2 cup more of dry each meal. With that he is getting 5 cups a day. I did not see him going back to his bowl looking for more to eat today. So I will give it a few more days and see how it goes. I think after that I will go back to just 4 cups a day and see what he does. If he does start going back looking for more food, I think I will try just a quarter cup more each meal and see if that is enough to satisfy him. If I do need to go back to 5 cups a day, I will keep a very close eye on his weight. Right now he is getting between 2-3 hours of exercise a day. That is a mix of walks, swimming, running and playing with other dogs, we do this almost every day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

So I have to ask, what is a "sato"? Could you do a close up of his front feet??? The one looks rather different from any lab I've ever seen in the big (standing) photo.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

DAWG is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    So I have to ask, what is a "sato"? Could you do a close up of his front feet??? The one looks rather different from any lab I've ever seen in the big (standing) photo.
    Sabbath is not a full bread lab, he has some chow in him. That is why he has some black spots on his tongue. It is thought that Sabbath was born from a full lab from one of a few Labrador breeders in Puerto Rico that had a litter that was not full lab. So all them puppies were abandoned, Sabbath was found with just one from that litter, his brother. They were found when they were about 2 - 2 1/2 months old. I started the process of getting Sabbath to New Hampshire when he was still in Puerto Rico. Two weeks later Sabbath was on a plane to Boston Massachusetts on his way to his forever home.

Yes I can post a pic of his paw. Are you looking at his right front? If so that just could be from the way he is standing on a root of a tree. I will take a few pix today of his front paws for you and maybe a video as well. I will post them latter today.

Sato (dog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sato is not a very induing term for a dog in Puerto Rico. Sato means dog but its used to call that dog a street dog, a stray, an abandoned dog or a mangy mutt. If you watch this video you will see and learn what is now going on with a lot of dogs in Puerto Rico. Before the making this documentary it was estimated 100,000 satos, it is now estimated at over 300,000 satos. There is a beach in Puerto Rico that they call death beach because that is where a lot of satos are dumped to die. If you can watch most of this video, you will know what a sato is.
    Last edited by DAWG; 10-02-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: remove word

Interesting. When I took Spanish, a dog was a pero, a cat was a gato. Never heard the term.
    Sure doubt that the mix was Chow though. That'd be one humongous chow and nothing else says "Chow" there to me. Just because he has black spots on his tongue doesn't mean anything... there are plenty of Labs, Goldens, etc w/ black "tatoos" on their tongues. I'd be more inclined to think Dane or one of the Mastiff types (Fila, Cane Corso, etc) to add the size.

DAWG is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Interesting. When I took Spanish, a dog was a pero, a cat was a gato. Never heard the term.
    Sure doubt that the mix was Chow though. That'd be one humongous chow and nothing else says "Chow" there to me. Just because he has black spots on his tongue doesn't mean anything... there are plenty of Labs, Goldens, etc w/ black "tatoos" on their tongues. I'd be more inclined to think Dane or one of the Mastiff types (Fila, Cane Corso, etc) to add the size.
    Now that is interesting to me. I was always told that if the dog had black spots on its tongue is had some chow in him. At first I had always thought that maybe a full lab had gotten out and had her pups. The reason I started thinking that, when I first got him, some would tell me that he looks like a full lab. Even know people think that he is a full lab. I contacted the girl in Puerto Rico back when Sabbath was about 5-6 months old. She was the one that told me he has some chow in him and that is why he has the black spots on his tongue.

I guess that I will probably never really know. I have even asked my vet about it. They just kind of shrug their shoulders and say something like "could be, maybe so". Maybe they did not want to disagree with what someone else had told me. I would think that my vet would be straight up with me, no matter what. I though it was strange at the time. It was like they were not agreeing or disagreeing.

Well here is a video and some pix of Sabbath's paws. You can watch the video in 1080p HD.

Neither of computers (not even the new "8" laptop) can access your video. Maybe just post the youtube link?
    But no, that's not true about the tongue marks all being linked to Chows. If that were the case, a fair number of Labs and Goldens of very well tracked breedings would be labelled as mixes.

DAWG is offline Member

Thanks for that info on the tongue markings. I will have to let others know that I have told about it being for a Chow mix only.

Here is the link for the video, its set for public, don't know why its not showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX94XsIcmPk

Okay that worked. What I wanted to see was his feet just standing/sitting there, bearing weight, not being squeezed etc. The toe structure/arch looks different than most labs (labs should be more rounded/tight). I'd guess there is a large working dog breed in there (as was my hunch earlier). Maybe you can see the similarities to the Dane's feet in this link: Biggest dog in the world: Meet George the 7ft long Great Dane... who's terrified of chihuahuas | Daily Mail Online
    Attached is a pic of one of mine as a pup, best I could find but maybe you can see the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast