puppy sprains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: puppy sprains

cookiemom is offline Junior Member

Defaultpuppy sprains

Hi everyone! We have an 8 month old EL who is 75 lbs. and have been dealing with growing pains for several months. Vet says his weight is good, he's just a sturdy boy. His growth has slowed down and the growing pains seem to have gone away but he keeps getting sprains from roughhousing with the other dogs. We try to restrict the rough play but even fetch has caused it on occasion. I am hoping we won't have to continue being so careful! Certainly don't want to cause permanent problems but it's hard to monitor all the time. Is anyone else having similar problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Where is your dog that he is able to play rough with other dogs? If you have a dog that "pivots" meaning running and picking up a toy and then immediately turning and running the other direction is really hard on their joints. When we run agility, we always make sure to set up the courses during practice to stop them from running and pivoting into us so that the runs are easier on their joints.

Unfortunately you need to monitor a puppy's behavior because it will lead to problems later in life. Especially to labs, that are prone to hip problems. Why don't you just eliminate playing with other dogs? Have you done any formal training as of yet?

Am I reading this correct? 8 month old puppy at 75 pounds?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boone 6 and 7 months 055.jpg Yes that's right he's an English lab The other dogs he plays with belong to our daughter and ourselves so difficult to stop contact. When we are gone during the day they play together also

Okay well good luck! Hope you don't have any more problems.

So my main question was is it normal to have to be so careful? It seems unusual to have to prevent all contact with other dogs. Do people really do this?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

My labs all interact daily together on my 5 acres when outside (otherwise, they are in the house w/ me). So.... I do NOT restrict exercise w/in my gang, never have, never will. I actually feel exercise is essential for a growing pup's joints.
    Now, that said, I did have one pup a few yrs ago (in an only dog home) who came up w/ pano (growing pains). He outgrew it and was fine. It does show up on xray if you do that. I always wondered had the owner had him on the MSM etc that I had recommended, would it have even happened? I have a littermate, and no others in the litter had the problem but they were faster growing than I have had for awhile.
    Btw, the "EL" thing threw me. Please, unless your lab was BRED in ENGLAND, it's not an English lab. So many have been duped by breeders calling their's "English" it just drives me nuts.
    My youngest (in my pic below) is 5.5 mos old now. She is into the ruckus here constantly. The difference of opinions on play w/ others is if they are just weekend warriors. This one is NOT. It's a lifetime/daily thing w/ mine.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Thanks for the response. I suppose I could say conformation lab but EL is shorter. lol Boone is with the other dog daily and gets regular walks and swims 3-4 times a week so I am frustrated that he seems to hurt himself at least once a month and then recuperating for weeks. Hubby wants to start hunt training and can't do it if he's limping. So it seems your girls don't have much trouble with injury even as puppies?

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

"Lab" is even more correct and even shorter to type.

No it's not normal to keep the pup restricted. But depending on where you got it from it could be having joint issues already if the parents weren't from a good breeder.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemom View Post
    Thanks for the response. I suppose I could say conformation lab but EL is shorter. lol Boone is with the other dog daily and gets regular walks and swims 3-4 times a week so I am frustrated that he seems to hurt himself at least once a month and then recuperating for weeks. Hubby wants to start hunt training and can't do it if he's limping. So it seems your girls don't have much trouble with injury even as puppies?
    Knock hard on wood, but no, I rarely have anyone come up w/ an issue here. Just gotta watch out for the damned rattlers it seems! Killed another one yesterday. Sigh... a baby no less (they are the worst for bites).

My guess based on the lines is that the bone growth is simply exceeding tendon/muscle development, so your best bet is to keep your boy well exercised (low impact like off lead walks/romps) and lean.

I don't personally care for (nor breed for) a lot of bone. Our breed is supposed to be moderate and athletic, but it seems to be in vogue to produce heavier boned/ heavier coated labs these days for the show ring.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast