Puppy Height
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Puppy Height

  1. #1
    frogjh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3

    DefaultPuppy Height

    Just curious about when your labs began to grow. My puppy is now 5 months old, weighs 40lbs. (which seems small to me)and he just seems so small to me. He seems to be getting longer, but not really taller. Do labs just take longer to grow as pups? My last lab was already grown when I got him. So this is my first lab pup. My other two dogs are golden retriever/Australian shepherd mix, and they seemed to grow fast as pups. Just curious if its the breed or if he is just tiny.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    yellowbelly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Don't rush it, they'll grow at their own pace.

  4. #3
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Mine is 5 mos today. She's 37.5#. I own her mom, grandma, etc on the one side and know her sire and his side. Not worried. Actually it's nice when they grow slower.....

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    frogjh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thank you guys!!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peck, Michigan
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Mine took off like a rocket when I first got him home now at 8 months he slowed down tremendously! Sand and mom are both big labs! My vet perdicted buster to be in th 100 lb range he is currently almost 80lbs but very short and stocky! We always joke he looks like a big wiener dog lol!!! I've read that they will stop growing height wise at yr and fill out more with muscle after that is that true?

  8. #6
    ZRabbits is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster_Brown View Post
    Mine took off like a rocket when I first got him home now at 8 months he slowed down tremendously! Sand and mom are both big labs! My vet perdicted buster to be in th 100 lb range he is currently almost 80lbs but very short and stocky! We always joke he looks like a big wiener dog lol!!! I've read that they will stop growing height wise at yr and fill out more with muscle after that is that true?
    Stop growing height wise by 18 months. By 2 years Lab should have filled out.

    lol, know when my pup is going to grow because he gets so long and his head looks so little for his body. Next thing you know he's looking very well proportioned. Now he's growing again.

    What Age Will a Labrador Retriever Be Fully Grown? | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peck, Michigan
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Stop growing height wise by 18 months. By 2 years Lab should have filled out.

    lol, know when my pup is going to grow because he gets so long and his head looks so little for his body. Next thing you know he's looking very well proportioned. Now he's growing again.

    What Age Will a Labrador Retriever Be Fully Grown? | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy
    I can tell because Buster wants to eat all day!

  10. #8
    xracer4844 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster_Brown View Post
    I can tell because Buster wants to eat all day!
    All labs want to eat all day!!! They will eat until they throw up and then eat again

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Peck, Michigan
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Not the norm for him honestly he usually eats twice a day and right now he will get in the trash in front of u!

  12. #10
    ZRabbits is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster_Brown View Post
    Not the norm for him honestly he usually eats twice a day and right now he will get in the trash in front of u!
    I find my pup looks for food when he's bored. When I see him rooting around, outside we go for some playtime or training time. After that, his fixation on food goes away. Just redirection. Labs have a tendency to want to constantly eat and probably will eat until they burst if allowed too.

    KAZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Height?
    By marmstr in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
  2. fence height
    By cdavies in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
  3. What Height for Rally??
    By 3TailsWaggin in forum Obedience/Tracking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
  4. Measuring Height?
    By LarrytheLab in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25