Something is wrong with Ted

Thread: Something is wrong with Ted

Teddysmom is offline Member

UnhappySomething is wrong with Ted

Good evening everyone. I've been here before when my yellow male lab, Ted, was younger. He's 10.5 now.

He's slowing down, not always eating his entire meal, but I expect changes with his age.

He drinks, eats, has normal BMs. He is attentive and happy at times, responsive.

However, last Sunday when I had him outside and called him back to me, I noticed a concerning mass on his upper back, between his shoulder blades, and not symmetric. It struck me that this was not part of his anatomy, his normal musculature. It's just slightly larger than the palm of my hand, in size. It's not very soft. You can shift it some, but it does not feel like it's filled with liquid. He does have some other smaller lumps that are more liquidy to the touch. The vet knows about all of those.

This mass on his back was seen by the vet on Friday. I asked her to aspirate it to see if cancer cells could be detected.

We will know more by midweek. I guess I am just writing because I can use the support and also any commiserating. Has this happened to anyone else's dog? I feel sad that this could be cancer; it's just not normal.

We have already decided that if that is the case, we will keep him comfortable for as long as we can. We will not operate or do chemo. He has a history of seizures, and I would be taking a chance, putting him under for surgery. There's also the cost and his age to consider.

If he has cancer, we will put him down when the time is right.

Advice? I am wondering if anyone else here has experienced a large mass like this on their dog and if so, was it osteosarcoma or something else? I swear it seemed to have happened overnight! I never noticed it until last weekend.

I looked the mass over very well for signs of a bite - nothing.

Teddysmom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Teddysmom is offline Member

I forgot to mention, the vet did not aspirate any oily fluid, which was what she had hoped for a benign cyst. It was a very very small amount, mixed with a bit of blood. It could come back inconclusive, of course.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

prayers for a weird lipoma.

jake has had one, vet was sure it wasn't a lipoma, hard, surrounded by muscle.

another time he had a hard, smallish lump, not even able to be aspirated. turned out to be hard, cruddy tissue that had to come out, huge margins, and NOT CANCER.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogfur is offline Member

Good thoughts it is a lipoma or something not serious. My dog has them all over his body. Some appear from no where and quite large. Some feel hard, others softer.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

and i also think, before you decide on what treatments you will be doing, understand that the mass does not necessarily need to be a cancer, or a lipoma. we've had all kinds, some so suspicious my vet would have bet they were cancer. and they weren't and were removed without an issue . even at that age.