Signs of first season????

Thread: Signs of first season????

Lizzie-May is offline Senior Member

DefaultSigns of first season????

Lizzie, 6 months, has started to clean herself excessively (down below) could this be a sign that her first season is approaching? For those in the know, what other signs should I be looking for??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HunterLilly is offline Member

DefaultRe: Signs of first season????

Hello... I wouldn't know what signs show for a female going into heat. I had my girls spayed before their first heat. But - I know constant licking can be a sign of an urinary tract infection. UTIs are actually pretty common in animals. Just wanted to give my two cents Maybe give your vet a call and explain the symptoms. Take Care.
    <br /><br />Rumbustious, rambunctious, and delinquent dogs become angelic when sitting.* -Dunbar<br />Jessica - mom to- Hunter and Lilly, Born Aug. 10, 2005

Lab Friend is offline Senior Member

It could be, or then again, maybe not. Just keep an eye on her. Some dogs show increased interest in keeping clean, while some don't. Good luck
    Patti and the pack: Scooter and Belle<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

It could be but some other signs to watch for first would be swelling of the vulva. I noticed this maybe a week before Mocha went into heat. Also other dogs (expecially male) will notice her much more and she them. Then watch for any signs of bleeding as that's a sure thing she's in heat. Some dogs temperment changes some during their heat as well but Mocha's didn't. She laid around alittle more.

Are you planning to get her spayed before or after or at all?
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Lizzie-May is offline Senior Member

We are planning on getting her spayed after her first season, on the vets advice.

Hazie is offline Junior Member

I also want to have my little girl fixed before her 1st season...this is somewhere between 8 month to one year, correct?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hazie
    I also want to have my little girl fixed before her 1st season...this is somewhere between 8 month to one year, correct?
    Alot depends on genetics. They can come into heat as early as 6 months of age and as late as 15 - 18 months. If you got your girl from a breeder, he/she might be able to give you an educated guess as to when to expect it. If you want to avoid any possibility of your girl going into season, you might want to have her spayed earlier rather than later (most vets recommend 6 months).

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

My girl Saska has just come into season, she was nearly 10 months old, the only thing I noticed was that she became very restless the two weeks before she came into season,and the day before she slept all day which was unusal,* then her vulva swelled slighty and was a bit red on the tip, I was advised to use a tissue to check for blood and this worked really well. It confirmed that she was in heat. it has now been 15 days cannot wait for it to end although bless her she has been really good. and kept herself very clean.
    I am going to have her spayed but my vet has advised me to wait three months after her heat.
    It is very confusing* *??? as everybody you talk to tells you something different.
    Good luck

Lynn

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grace went into heat around 11 months. We noticed a bit of swelling, plus we have a male in the house, so he kind of helped tip us off. The tissue is by far the best way to tell. And it's not too tough to just do a quick little wipe. For us it only lasted 21 days.