4 month old puppy with a small growth on his face
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old puppy with a small growth on his face

MrsK81 is offline Junior Member

Default4 month old puppy with a small growth on his face

Hello, I am looking for advice... our 4 month old choccy lab has developed a growth (about 1cm in diameter) just over his right eye. It's skin coloured with one or two hais growing from it and doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. We've had our vet take a look and he said as long as it isn't bothering him or doesn't growhe wouldn't do anything. Apparently it's in a tricky position to just take a biopsy while he's so young and excitable he was concerned if Yogi moved at the wrong moment the needle could strike his eye. He also said removal could be a problem as they'd have to remove a larger piece of skin in order to prevent regrowth and that could impede the function of his eyelid!!

We were told it could go on its own or he'd have it for life. I'm happy for him to live with the growth but on the other hand I don't want to leave it only to discover further down the line that it was something that needed urgent treatment!

Has anyone else come across this in their dog? I *think* I've added a pic but never done it before.

I've frightened myself looking on the web so any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi, never had something like this appear. Pic did show up. Do you trust your Vet? If you have doubts, I would get a second opinion on this. If not and you trust your vet, who seems to have given you all the reasons why not to remove right now, just keep observing. Hopefully it goes away or just stays the size that it is now.

Hoping someone who has had this before on their dogs can give you a bit more insight.

KAZ

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Is it more than his little dog eye brow?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

I'm not fond of lumps and things growing. without a biopsy.

It's not grown for about two weeks now... think that might be the reason our vet isn't too concerned? Up Close it looks & feels almost wart like and one of the hundreds of articles I've read does say that young dogs eho's immune system are still developing can be prone to these warts and they can go away without treatment.

We have no reason to doubt this vet but unfortunately we've not been as lucky with previous ones so its left us apprehensive ever since.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Histiocytomas are very common in young pups w/ immature immune systems. Many times these wartlike growths spontaneously disappear w/in 4-6 wks. One of my pups had one ~5 yrs ago and recalling way back ~20 yrs ago, I had a pup who had a "wart" grow right between his eyes. I bet it was the same thing but the vet took it off regardless. I'd probably want a 2nd opinion, but it's likely nothing to worry about. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MrsK81 View Post
    It's not grown for about two weeks now... think that might be the reason our vet isn't too concerned? Up Close it looks & feels almost wart like and one of the hundreds of articles I've read does say that young dogs eho's immune system are still developing can be prone to these warts and they can go away without treatment.

We have no reason to doubt this vet but unfortunately we've not been as lucky with previous ones so its left us apprehensive ever since.
    Know what you mean by being apprehensive regarding vets. Have had one emergency vet actually overmedicate my Flemish, send him home. When I called to tell the vet my Flemish was worse, I got from a vet tech because the vet was too cowardly to come to the phone "just don't give him any more medicine". Ended up rushing back to the Vet's, halfway there, my Flemish died in my arms.

But it seems that this vet knows what he/she speaks of. If it's a wart due to a developing immune system and it can be common in pups, and he/she feels that if wart is removed or biopsy taken, it could affect your pups eye sight (eye lid), I'd see if it does dissolve on it's own. Pup is only 4 months old.

KAZ

So sorry about Flemish Kaz that must have been awful. We had a golden reteiever, Tosca, who went in for a routine neutering procedure but died during the op. The entire situation was handled terribly... they told us he'd died over the phone at about 4pm and immediately offered to cremate him at their expense, being totally in shock we agreed. The following morning when we had time to think about it we realised we needed a proper explanation and the insurance company asked for a post mortem but when we called back they informed us it had already been done! We called and called even visited the practice for answers and eventually they tried saying he had a preexisting condition we hadn't disclosed which complicated the op (something to do with his femoral artery and bleeding internally prior to the surgery) We couldn't challenge it of course :/

Suffice to say we switched vets and we've been pleased with ours so far. I'll keep a close eye on it and continue measuring it to make sure.

Thanks for all your help I'm just as neurotic with Yogi as I am my kids lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrsK81 View Post
    So sorry about Flemish Kaz that must have been awful. We had a golden reteiever, Tosca, who went in for a routine neutering procedure but died during the op. The entire situation was handled terribly... they told us he'd died over the phone at about 4pm and immediately offered to cremate him at their expense, being totally in shock we agreed. The following morning when we had time to think about it we realised we needed a proper explanation and the insurance company asked for a post mortem but when we called back they informed us it had already been done! We called and called even visited the practice for answers and eventually they tried saying he had a preexisting condition we hadn't disclosed which complicated the op (something to do with his femoral artery and bleeding internally prior to the surgery) We couldn't challenge it of course :/

Suffice to say we switched vets and we've been pleased with ours so far. I'll keep a close eye on it and continue measuring it to make sure.

Thanks for all your help I'm just as neurotic with Yogi as I am my kids lol
    So sorry to hear about Tosca. But sounds like you found someone who you feel comfortable with and trust. I would do the same and just keep an eye on it.

lol, know what you mean by worrying like they are your kids. I wouldn't call it neurotic.

KAZ

MrsK81,

Guess what, found the type of wart on my pup too.

Now started to really research and are these the warts you are talking about? Because the one you posted looks like the one that my pup has, but nothing like the ones on this site;

Canine Papilloma Virus - Dog warts, puppy warts, copv

KAZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast