Puppy problem!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy problem!!

Hayleigh is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy problem!!

Hello,
    New to the forums.

My lab pup, Zoe, who is 6 months old, seems to be having trouble passing feces.
    This all began yesterday morning, I took her out to the toilet and as she tried to pass feces she let out a loud yelp and continued to cry while trying to pass.

We rang our local vet, they told us to give her plenty of water and soft food. We did this all day, but she still was having issue passing feces.
    We then took her to our 24 hour vet clinic and he couldn't seem to find a reason why this was happening.

Today she is still having trouble going to the bathroom.

She is still very energetic and her usual self. There was no blood in her stool and it didn't look any different than normal. She doesn't seem to have any blockages as she is able to pass feces.
    The only pain she seems to have is when she is pushing the feces out.

I was just curious to see if anyone else has had this issue, or would possibly know what is causing this to my pup.

Any feedback would be wonderful.

Thanks,
    Hayleigh

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

I would say she's got a possible blockage. There should never be pain or any discomfort with a bowel movement. I'd go to your Vet and request x-rays. Lab pups will chew anything. My 10 week old has found rocks and stones to be interesting to chew.

Please let us know how Zoe is. But please don't wait. I can understand the soft food and water, but something should have passed by now.

KAZ

She passes feces perfectly fine, so that is what made me think there is no blockage.
    She seems to have pain when pushing the feces out. I did a bit of research and thought that maybe her anal glands need expressing.
    We are going to book her into our Vet tomorrow and see if he can find what is going on.

Thanks for the advice

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hayleigh View Post
    She passes feces perfectly fine, so that is what made me think there is no blockage.
    She seems to have pain when pushing the feces out. I did a bit of research and thought that maybe her anal glands need expressing.
    We are going to book her into our Vet tomorrow and see if he can find what is going on.

Thanks for the advice
    So glad to hear she's passing, so would do as you did, look at maybe a problem with the anal glands. Read also about how some need to be expressed.

Good luck.

KAZ

Thanks Kaz.

Will get the Vet to look at her anal glands and hopefully that sorts out the problem.
    Fingers crossed

How's Zoe doing?

KAZ

We took her to our Vet today.
    Her anal glands were full of fluid, like I thought. The Vet expressed them and now we are waiting for Zoe to need to go to the toilet to see if that solved her discomfort.

Hopefully shes all good. The Vet said if she is still having trouble within the next 24 hours, we will need to take her back in for some xrays.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

typically, passing hard poop naturally expresses the glands. Are you giving the dog anything like raw marrow bones to chew?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayleigh View Post
    We took her to our Vet today.
    Her anal glands were full of fluid, like I thought. The Vet expressed them and now we are waiting for Zoe to need to go to the toilet to see if that solved her discomfort.

Hopefully shes all good. The Vet said if she is still having trouble within the next 24 hours, we will need to take her back in for some xrays.
    Hoping she goes for you soon. If she doesn't, the x-ray to see if there is a slight blockage? Or if something else is going on?

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

i never heard of a "slight blockage". either there's a blockage, or not.

are you feeding raw? perhaps too much bone in the meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast