Just neutered
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just neutered

Katbefishing is offline Junior Member

DefaultJust neutered

Hi,

Buster (9 months old) was just neutered on Tues. Today is Friday and we can not keep him calm. He has a collar on which he hates and Doc says it has to stay on for 2 weeks!!!! We only take him for short walks but he is used to running all over the place. We keep in the create has much as we can but he is still can't keep still in there. Does anyone have any ideas on how to calm him. We feel so bad for him. I think the whole thing hurts us more than him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi,

Necessary evil. Know how you feel. Have felt that way with all my boys when after neutering.

Does he like to chew? Silly questions as most labs love to at that age, but you never know. I have in the back of my mind that when my boy goes through this, that maybe a new chew toy, or peanut butter kong, or something that he really likes will keep him occupied. Plus can you take off the collar for a little, but be there to supervise? could give him time to relax without it, as I would think that is also setting him off and not allowing him to calm down.

Wish you could just sit him down and explain, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

KAZ

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

work his brain. lots of short training sessions and make him work for all his meals, feed with a toy like tug-a-jug or brain games (there are tons) or in a frozen kong, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultBuster

Thanks, I'll try the Kong. He is let lose for awhile supervised but trying to get the cone back on is just crazy. We'll get through this. Does the cone really have to stay on 2 whole weeks? My poor baby will be half crazed by then.

Can't wait for this to be over....

Jake wouldn't even move, completely terrified when he had the cone on, so I had to take it off of him. We worked out a system to get it back on again, and he was very good. I didn't go 2 weeks though. Had it on for one week with taking it off so that he could actually move as he was terrified of it. After one week, never touched the area so cone went into closet.

KAZ

the cone is so they dont lick at the incision or pull the stiches. if he does not bother the area you can give him breaks but supervise. definitely leave it on when you cannot supervise. some dogs the cone is not really needed other dogs need it the full time. depends on the dog. i rarely leave it on for walks (on leash). by day 5 i do multiple 15 min walks as the dog is not nutty on leash.

this is a terrific time to really work on training.

The training does sound like an excellent way to help your Lab deal with this. short sessions, good for the mind, plus I would think would make me happy as it's taking both our minds off of the discomfort. Just make sure dog is on leash and no jumping or running? Would you introduce something new at this time regarding training? Or stick with basics?

KAZ

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    The training does sound like an excellent way to help your Lab deal with this. short sessions, good for the mind, plus I would think would make me happy as it's taking both our minds off of the discomfort. Just make sure dog is on leash and no jumping or running? Would you introduce something new at this time regarding training? Or stick with basics?

KAZ
    train something new, practice what he knows in new places, in new positions (i.e. when teaching sit, teach it with you standing up, with you sitting down with you laying down - not as easy as it sounds haha).

a jump here or there isn't the end of the world. you don't want the dog doing anything vigorous or LOTS of jumping.

on leash only if needed, depending on the training it could be helpful (on a training point of view).

no running no. no playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    train something new, practice what he knows in new places, in new positions (i.e. when teaching sit, teach it with you standing up, with you sitting down with you laying down - not as easy as it sounds haha).

a jump here or there isn't the end of the world. you don't want the dog doing anything vigorous or LOTS of jumping.

on leash only if needed, depending on the training it could be helpful (on a training point of view).

no running no. no playing around.

Thank you so much for your reply. My pup has a ways to go. Already planning to wait until his 2nd birthday to neuter. Just feel he should be totally matured physically before neutering. Just common sense to always exercise brain as well as body. Just keep physical activity to a slower pace than usual. And shorter sessions. Will definitely have a few classes under our belts by then as our goal is therapy, so will be able to find good brain exercises.

KAZ

DefaultBuster

Things are better with Buster. Though the cone is destroyed. Keeping him busy is the key.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast