Question about health issues breeding chocolate-to-chocolate?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about health issues breeding chocolate-to-chocolate?

Susanne is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion about health issues breeding chocolate-to-chocolate?

I'm preparing to get a chocolate lab puppy late October, and have recently been told of a health problem that can exist with breeding chocolate-to-chocolate labs (both male & female are Chocolate). I was told chocolate is a recessive color, and breeding two dogs that express that gene can cause health issues. I had never heard this before, but since this came from someone whose knowledge of dogs I respect, I wanted to check all I could on the subject. This was on another dog forum, and approached on another subject, so she didn't go into any other detail. Does anyone know anything about this?

I sure would appreciate it. I'm "dead-set" toward getting chocolate, as I'm a sucker for that 'goofy' look they have....not to mention: sweet, kind, gentle, ahhhhhh.....could go on & on. My next-to-last dog (you know, the "dog-of-a-lifetime) was a chocolate lab, and my best friend for nearly 15 years. I know he's not replaceable, but as I'm a little over 60 now, I want one more in my lifetime. Everyone has tried to talk me into a yellow or black, since they all think the chocolates all look alike and I'll be expecting to have my old dog back, but I know better. Just love the breed to begin with, and love the chocolate! But, I'm curious about this new information I've received.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rachy268 is offline Junior Member

Hiya... ive got a 13 week Chocolate lab that was bred chocolate to chocolate, although I don't know much about the breeding I've never heard of this.. my lab is in perfect health and vet checks him every month, at 12 weeks old he weighed 26lb he's gorgeous and very clever... love him more than anything xx

mauricio is offline Senior Member

are you getting the pup from a breeder?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

False. As long as you are going w/ a reputable/responsible breeder who is doing all the testing (hips, elbows, eyes, PRA, CNM, EIC, heart), you are fine. I don't know where some of these people come up w/ this info.....
    Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    False. As long as you are going w/ a reputable/responsible breeder who is doing all the testing (hips, elbows, eyes, PRA, CNM, EIC, heart), you are fine. I don't know where some of these people come up w/ this info.....
    Anne
    x100

PLEASE do make sure you pick a reputable breeder that does things right. nothing wrong with two chocolates being bred, just make sure the breeder does all the testing on both parents prior to breeding (these are not done at a vet wellness check, they are special tests - hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn). THOSE are the health issues to be concerned about not breeding "recessive colours" - because without ensuring the dogs pass those tests THEN you are taking a gamble on health.

Thank you all SO much! My last lab was a chocolate-to-chocolate, and was just fine, too. The person who mentioned this is well informed in most areas, so had to check it out. I googled it, and didn't find anything either, so I feel fine about it now.

I will be getting him from a well known breeder in our area that has been around a long time. All of the testing for the health issues have been done on both. We live in a small town, and the (only) vet in town has nothing to say but good things about them, which is good to know! They have bred an English female to an American male. I'm used to the American lab, and the first time I saw the English female, I was surprised! I hate to admit it, but until then, I didn't even know there was more than one type of lab. I wasn't told she was "English", so I thought something was wrong....she was short, fat, and (in my mind) funny looking (no offense!) I've since gotten used to the look... Now I know. I'll just be happy to have a lab in the house again !

Thanks again for your help. I look forward to reading about all of your labs and experiences.

Note that most vets don't really know much about breeding and what should be done to be a good breeder. Just make sure to see proof of all the health clearances.

Thanks, I plan to. It was mentioned before; I had asked, but not seen the papers/proof of all of the health issues. But, for some reason, I had not asked for proof. This is a small town area, and we tend to get a little 'lax' on things , and trust too easily. I certainly will ask to see them all now. It was suggested to have them email them to me. Saves me a trip to two different towns! Thanks again!

if you have the parents names (registered names) you can do some of the research on your in in the OFA database. It's not my forte so maybe someone else can give you the run down. For hips and elbows at least.
    Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

mauricio is offline Senior Member

before you consider breeding you should have those health papers in your hands.

is the breeder going to mentor you with this dog, if you do end up breeding?
    are you aware of the costs of you doing the testing, before breeding?

we're not talking a few bucks. perhaps some of the breeders on the board can confirm what i am saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast