Something curious about Prince

Thread: Something curious about Prince

DefaultSomething curious about Prince

Well, my little boy has driven me close to nuts trying to get him to eat. I have tried different suggestions from people here and others I know. Nothing seemed to interest him. I did get him to eat just enough yogurt and dry food to give him his antibiotics last night. After that, he wanted nothing to do with either of them.
    This morning I was at the end of my rope until I looked at the can of dog food given to me with Prince.

They had been feeding the pups adult canned food which I do not agree with. I figured it was worth the try and if he had been able to eat the spoon, he probably would have. ;D So I put some in his bowl and he went to town. I didn't care at that point seeing his little tummy look like it was full.

Now I have the problem of what to do. I really don't want to keep feeding this adult food and I hear the stories that canned food will give them runny stool. So can I start crushing up his dry food to mix the canned to try and wean him off of it? I am ecstatic he is eating again, but I want to make sure he is eating right.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Something curious about Prince

I don't think the adult food is going to hurt him some breeders use it from the get go. Check the calcium levels that's the most important from what I've been told it should be between 1% and 1.5% I think. I would at least mix the wet food with some of his regular food (maybe the same brand as the wet) and mix less and less until he dosn't need it.

I don't know that it's the case but they are smart little buggers and if they can get you to pay more attention to them or give them the good stuff by not eatting they will. Mocha did this when she was young and I tried everything. Finally the vet told me to stop just give her the dry food that I picked and was good for her and give it to her 10 minutes in the morning and pick it up if she didn't eat. Then give it again that evening and again pick it up if not eatten in 10-15 minutes. I also cut out all treats until she was eating her normal food consistantly. She didn't eat for 2 1/2 days then finally caved and has been chowing down since then as soon as you feed her. Sometimes it just takes tough love. I also changed her food around that time to one she seemed to like better.

Good luck I hope you can find something he will eat.

DefaultRe: Something curious about Prince

Well, Mocha looks gorgeous. Prince is a chocolate lab, also.

Thanks for the reply. I had heard about the 10 minute thing and may try that, but with him being trying to recover from a stomach virus I am not real sure about doing that right now. That's why I finally broke down and gave him the canned food; he was already visibly losing weight.