spay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spay

janika288 is offline Junior Member

Questionspay

OUr vet wants to spay Maggie at 4 months. She is now 12 weeks. Does this seem to young of an age to do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Yes, too young by far. Please do a Google search on early spay neuters in canines and it'll bring up a number of health and orthopedic issues related to it.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

sipsi is offline Junior Member

So what is the best age for spaying? I have an 8 week old female. I have done my research and found out that spaying before the first heat is beneficial. But our vet said that we should wait until our puppy is 2 years old! I have never read anything about it so far. I'm really confused. Please help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

No, the research that says to spay at 8 weeks is only geared to the folks that want to prevent reproduction, it's not at all healthy for a dog.

You should wait until the dog is fully grown, fully mature, then do it. 12-18 months.

And remember, it's not up to the vet when they spay or neuter, it's up to you. It's not their dog, they perform their services, which YOU pay for, when YOU decide to do things.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

safe as of 6 months. there are benefits to waiting til the dog is done growing (18-24 mts) and if your female has a resesswd vulva definatelt wait.

after six month i think you need to make a personal decision that works for you. yes there are benifits to waiting but you need to be very diligent and responsible when havin and intact dog. its not for everyone. tons and tons are dogs are fixed at/around 6mts and live long/healthy lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    safe as of 6 months. there are benefits to waiting til the dog is done growing (18-24 mts) and if your female has a resesswd vulva definatelt wait.

after six month i think you need to make a personal decision that works for you. yes there are benifits to waiting but you need to be very diligent and responsible when havin and intact dog. its not for everyone. tons and tons are dogs are fixed at/around 6mts and live long/healthy lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    No, the research that says to spay at 8 weeks is only geared to the folks that want to prevent reproduction, it's not at all healthy for a dog.

You should wait until the dog is fully grown, fully mature, then do it. 12-18 months.

And remember, it's not up to the vet when they spay or neuter, it's up to you. It's not their dog, they perform their services, which YOU pay for, when YOU decide to do things.

I am not considering spaying her at 8 weeks. It Can be at 6 months age. But I've read this somewhere; "unless you spay your dog before the first heat, the behavioral problems won't be eliminated, such as searching for male dogs" Is it true?

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sipsi View Post
    I am not considering spaying her at 8 weeks. It Can be at 6 months age. But I've read this somewhere; "unless you spay your dog before the first heat, the behavioral problems won't be eliminated, such as searching for male dogs" Is it true?
    I spayed my dog after her first heat and she has no behavioral issues, and certainly doesn't search for dogs, if a male even tries to mount her they soon get told off. I know a lot of vets recommend this however, this is for the main reason of unwanted/accidental pregnancy. However that is only a risk if you as an owner is not responsible with your dog. do your research. Don't rely on a vet as you will soon see a change in them if you are armed with knowledge.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

spaying. (or not) should have no impact on temperment.

I can have the responsibility of preventing my dog from unwanted pregnancy. So there is no other specific reason to spay at an early age, isn't there? I guess it's good to wait. Thank you all and sorry for my bad English

icursleepy is offline Junior Member

I had my Ellie spayed at 5.5 months... now my male boxer wants to mount her all the time... we correct the act.,.but now he will not play with her .. I have read UTI can give a scent.. she doesnt pass any blood or drink excessively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast