Dog Food survey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food survey

Sedonarona is offline Member

DefaultDog Food survey

I know I have seen this topic touched on extensively, but we are looking to change foods. Sedona has been on Iams Large Breed Smart Puppy dog food throughout her first year...in fact, her birthday is tomorrow (Tuesday, 11th). We think she likes Iams, but of course, she hasn't turned down anything presented throughout her entire existence!

What are some opinions out there? We settled on Iams in the first place because it seemed to be a "middle of the road" dog food that isn't the most expensive or the cheapest. It always seems to be in short supply at our Petsmart, so we figured it was a more popular brand. Now, we do not want a bargain basement brand, nor do we want to pay 40+ bucks for Science Diet Supreme or Royal Canine Labrador Retriever or whatever they are called. Yesterday, we looked at Eukanuba, Beneful, Pro Plan, and Science Diet, but we decided on Iams Large Breed Adult only because she has been eating Iams and we haven't had any problems with it.

What do people feed their dogs on this board and, please understand, my wife and I are ALL FOR buying a food that might be cheaper and saving some money in the long run, but we want the healthiest possible diet for our Lab, so in that sense, money is not an overriding concern.

Sedona is currently weighing in at 96 pounds at 12 months and our vet said that, for her size, she is on the high end of a healthy weight range for her girth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Food survey

Ender is getting Innova Large Breed Puppy for now (he's 13 weeks and 31 lbs)
    ~Lindsay

Tagen is offline Senior Member

We feed Roxy Costco's Kirkland C&R. Pretty inexpensive and from what I understand better quaility than brands of similar price.

A common suggestion is to find a food your dog does well on and stick to it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand, Iams is more like the middle-low end of the spectrum quality wise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

All my guys that don't have issues eat Kirkland Lamb and Rice and do great on it. (You'll need to join Costco for that one). I really like the food and can't beat the price. Otherwise, my guys are getting ProPlan Sensitive Sytems. If you're looking for a food that is readily available at most pet stores, I'd give the ProPlan a try. You really don't need a large breed ADULT food.

Sedonarona is offline Member

Wow, Iams is on the "middle-low end" quality wise? Sure doesn't seem that way based on the price! Thanks for the insight...we do shop at Costco quite a bit...so the Kirkland food there is supposed to be pretty good? Better than Iams?

And we thought we were giving her a more expensive higher quality (so we thought) food in the LB Smart Puppy food from Iams. Is this the general opinion of those on this board? If so, I am glad I asked.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Yes, the Kirkland brand is a much better quality food than Iams. The statement you get what you pay for food wise; is quite a myth in dog food.

I have four labs, the youngest will be three in June. We have tried several different brands, and my girls seem to like and do well on Eagle Pack. I like it for all the healthy ingredients it contains, and is reasonable/comparable in price.
    Also, just wanted to say I like your choice of names...Sedona. My youngest lab, (yellow) is named Sedona. I have never met another lab with her name. I named her for Sedona Arizona, as she has a lot of yellow and red combinations, and I love the city.
    Four Labs Kentucky<br />http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-louisvillelabs<br />Sedona, Shyanne, Cali &amp; Hannah<br />Delta Society &amp; WAGS Pet Therapy<br />R.E.A.D. (Paws To Read)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If you examine the list of the first 5 or 10 ingredient, you'll fnd that Kirkland (signature brand of COSTCO, sold only there, made by the same company that makes Diamond, etc., Schell & Kampeter) is right up there among (or better) than many high quality formulations -- Diamond, Eukanuba, Nutro NC, ProPlan, Science Diet, etc.

I usually feed my Puff (YF, AKC, fiekd line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) Kirkland C&R which I buy at COSTCO, 70 miles away.

When it's not convenient to make that trip, I buy a small bag of a similar formula Diamond locally.

Since my Puff eats only 1¼ cups/2X/dayof food, a 40 lb. bag goes stale long before it's halfway done.

For that reason, I transfer its contents immediately (on opening) into 10-11 one gallon Ziplock freezer bags.* I put 5-6 in the freezer and, when the first 5 are almost finished, I bring out a few more to warm up to room temp before openiog.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Seattlemom is offline Senior Member

Toby gets Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy, and he is on that because that's what his breeder chose. Because he has no issues with the food, I'll keep him on it until he's one, and then probably switch to their adult formula. (Actually, I'll probably ask what to do here and then follow the Board's advice!)
    Erin &amp; Toby<br />

pluto is offline Senior Member

http://www.caninehealthnutrition.com/labrador.htm

http://www.propacpetfood.com/dogs/in...20020102155023

these are the ones i would personally reccomend..However Kirkland seems to be doing really well and is a good match for products far more expensive then it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast