Lactating!

Thread: Lactating!

UnhappyLactating!

Hanna has been lactating for about a week now, at first I didn't realize the white stuff on the floor was from her and I'm not quite sure what to do. She is supposedly going through what is called false pregnancy- she's also swollen on her belly a bit, been nesting quite a bit, restless and I can hardly leave the room without her getting a little upset where she'll bark. Her last heat cycle was a while ago now back in April I think? She is not fixed, will be 7 years old later this year so she will officially be a senior and the reason why she is not fixed is because of complications that arose earlier that prevented me getting this done- twice I tried and currently I don't have the money laying around to have it done.

What should I do? I just don't want this to get worse or to develop into an infection like Pyometra which I am well aware of in older unspayed female dogs.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

You don't mention what the complications are, but if purely financial, there are assistance programs in many communities. The SNAP program comes to mind. Otherwise, can you borrow some money from a friend/relative, or does your vet take CARE credit? She needs to be spayed, and preferably soon.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

mauricio is offline Senior Member

has she been seen by a vet or are you assuming a false pregnancy.?

I'm with windy on this one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The complications were when my family was going to help me out at the time and then had issues with my family and then later on someone else was going to help me but basically bailed so to speak. The main reason though is financially yes, or else she'd be spayed already. This is not my choice. She has been seen by a vet more than once since I've gotten her and had actually got blood taken which was going to precede the spay surgery then but like I said things did not go as planned. She is a healthy dog, no problems except she was diagnosed with Lyme and treatment was given. I really think she's going through false pregnancy.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

she needs to see a vet.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

The thing is, your risks of pyo are increasing exponentially at this point. Somehow, you really need to figure out how to get the spay done sooner than later, as emergency pyo / spay surgery will most likely cost you a lot more due to the infection involved. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

mauricio is offline Senior Member

again, I'm with anne. you are assuming, and might be right.
    or might be wrong.
    borrow, or put on a credit card.
    dogs can be expensive.

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

This story makes me glad I was able to get Piper fixed-even if it was hell on earth with the cone. I don't really wanna see white stuff on the floor from her! Heck, I didn't want to see it from me!!!!!