My lab ate a bar of soap

Thread: My lab ate a bar of soap

dennisv21 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy lab ate a bar of soap

Almost 3 weeks ago, my nearly 9 year old lab Mindy ate an entire bar of Jergens mild soap (including most of the wrapping), plus a few chunks out of a couple others. I didn't discover it until about 24 to 36 hours after she ate it. About 24 hours after I discovered it, she threw up in very large quantities, about 3 hours after her evening meal. I didn't closely inspect the vomit, but it appeared to contain some chunks of soap. Also, a few of her poos had some white coloring.

Other than the one known incident of vomiting, she never seemed to be too distressed, but did have some slight dry heaves and flatulence. She was little lethargic for a while, but she never refused food or water at any time.

Mindy is doing well now, eating/drinking normally with normal energy level for an almost senior canine. I guess she got all cleaned out, so to speak. Of course, it was my fault for leaving an opened 8-pack of soap in a plastic bag on the bathroom floor.

I've heard some dogs eat soap if their diet does not include enough fat. She is on diet food, Science Diet w/d. Is this a valid point and are there any other possible reasons? Actually, I think she may have eaten it because she liked it -- it may have been the coconut acid in the soap.

Mindy-Nov 2013 001.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Be careful with these products as many contain palm oil which can kill your dog. Glad to hear shes ok. Is she normally the type of dog who eats whatever they come across? Or is this out of character?

dennisv21 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lablover34198 View Post
    Be careful with these products as many contain palm oil which can kill your dog. Glad to hear shes ok. Is she normally the type of dog who eats whatever they come across? Or is this out of character?
    Mindy gets into stuff and eats it only when she is really bored and left alone for a couple hours. She has eaten paper, cardboard, photographs, kleenex, dental floss, and Q-tips. Outside, she eats grass at times, certain kinds of grass. This is not too frequent.

Thanks for the advice about the harmful ingredient that some soaps contain.