Spaying Sucks!!

Thread: Spaying Sucks!!

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpaying Sucks!!

Oh my God! None of you told me how sucky it was going to be after Piper was spayed. Dear God, I feel like the worst puppy parent ever! She just got it done yesterday, she cried and whimpered ALL night long. She wouldn't eat last night, threw up green stomach acid and finally drank some water. She just lays collapsed on the ground, staring at me as if I was an ax murderer! She looks so pathetic! I just lay by her and do nothing! Somebody pleeease tell me the first 48 hours are the worst and it will be much better soon!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cone comes off on Sunday-HALLELUJAH-Party at the dog park!!!!

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Aw poor piper,how old was she when u got her done?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Critter is offline Junior Member

I felt the same way when I had my Anya spayed...she looked so pathetic lying there I felt horrible... thankfully that night she ate ice chips out of my hand and a little bit of boiled rice...made me feel like I was doing something. Word of advice dont let her play hard for the first 10-14 days. Although I tried very hard to keep her from running around on day 10 she escaped around me out the back door and ran around the yard like she was locked up for a year . She ended up with a hematoma ~ which did go away after a week. Just try to keep her from running and jumping around. Hope Piper is feeling better

Woo Hoo!! Cone is gone!

Critter,

I know exactly what you mean. The day she took her cone off we took her to the dog park really early so she would be the only one there playing (you know how they like to wrestle with each other and I wasn't ready for that, especially since we took her cone off a day early) and she ran around like a crazy woman. You would have thought she had just been released from prison!

lab lover,

Piper was eight months. I was really trying to wait until she was around 18 months but I was too concerned about her not being able to go to the dog park when she was in heat, I was worried about dogs in our neighborhood trying to get to her (we don't have a fenced yard) and since she is appearing to be a smaller lab ( she weighed 45 lbs at her vet visit) I am hoping the joint problems I have read about will pass her by.

I am SOOOOO Happy my puppy is back to her normal self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ayr
    ayr is offline Junior Member

This has me worried (getting my pup spayed next month). I hope she won't feel to badly. Anything else I should know about the recovery period?

I would just be mentally prepared for the worst and then I think the reality is never as bad as you've made it out in your head. I went into it thinking no big deal and she was a big puddle of sad pathetic puppy so my advise is plan for the worst and then you ( and she) will probably be ok. Good luck!!!!

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

I find this thread kind of surprising. I have had dogs both spayed and neutered. It is major surgery. I should rephrase that...it is major "routine" surgery. A good vet can do the surgery in less than 20 minutes from start to finish. If you are really interested go on youtube and watch exactly what they do. It is no different than a human having surgery. With that said, the dog is going to be in pain - they are cut open and stiched up. They are not going to act like nothing happened...

The dog is put to sleep, surgery happens, they wake up groggy from the medication and usually in pain. The vet usually gives them something for the pain, and usually you have the option to purchase pain medication for the dog for home. Try not to leave them alone the next day or two as you should monitor them.

The vet will tell you no jumping up (onto furniture) as this can tear the stitches. Also they will tell you no running or fast walking or anything like that. The dog should be crated any time you can not supervise even if they have a cone on...this is for the dogs own protection. The last thing you want is for the dog to damage the stitches and possibly cause infection, which leads to more surgery or other issues. At night time it is best to crate them with the cone on.

Bottom line...its going to be painful for your dog. But the dog will be fine after a few days and won't even remember what happened.

sowen is offline Junior Member

I also recently had choc lab spayed. She was three months old (no choice on this since she came from the pound and its required before adoption). I picked her up that afternoon with no medication for pain. I saw nothing that indicated that she was in any discomfort. There was no cone provided and no instruction on what she should be allowed to do (although common sense told me to try and keep her calm and not let her play wide open). Needless to say it was a breeze. Maybe it was her young age??