Switching Food

Thread: Switching Food

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwitching Food

oh this switching food business is just no good...So the vet recommended that I swtich Buck's food to something with less corn filler...He was eating Purina Puppy Chow...so I thought ok let's try switching to Solidgold Wolfcub puppy food...I was doing the gradual switch and of course suddenly after 4 days he gets diarreah...then I just gave him rice till his stool firmed up and slowly started sprinkling his kibbles on his rice...the Purina kibble and solidgold (more purina) then after 3 feedings he got the runs again last night...did I reintroduce the solidgold too soon? I am thinking perhaps I did ...or is it just too rich for him and should I just try finding him something else? I really didn't want to switch his food cuz of this diarreah business...but if purina isn't good for him then something has to be found...is there something out there that isn't so rich and has no corn filler in it?

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Switching Food

SG is nice food, but there are lots of nice foods.* Before you change again .... how slowly were making the food switch?* If your puppy has a sensitive stomach, you should probably switch like I do:* 1/4 cup new food for 3 days, then add another 1/4 cup of the new food (obviously subtracting out the old) again allowing at least 3 days w/ the new ratio.

Also, make sure that you aren't OVERFEEDING the SG.* *Overfeeding will cause diarrhea more often than not.* *It will probably require less SG than puppy chow because you don't have the fillers.* How old is your puppy?* I fed SG WolfCub and can probably help you out w/ serving size.* *I never fed over 3 1/2 cups and that was around 6 months of age.* Then again I have a small lab -- she's only 55 lbs. at 9 months.* From 8 - 10 weeks of age she ate 3/4 cups 3x a day. *

Buck is 14 weeks old...You may have a good point about the amount of SG...I am feeding him the SG WolfCub as well...I did give him 1/4 cup SG and the rest Puppy Chow for three days...his stool seemed fine...so then I upped it on the fourth day...almost 1/2 cup SG...and rest pup chow...maybe I went up too fast? or maybe I should have lowered the amount of puppy chow further...I only feed him two cups of food a day...he eats twice a day...I try to feed him in the afternoon when I visit him for lunch but he doesn't like to eat then...so two meals a day...1 cup each time...his vet recommended no more than 2.25 cups a day for a while cuz he's apparantly a big pup and she doesn't want him growing too fast or getting fat...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Solid gold is a good food but too rich for many dogs. I couldn't get a solid stool on Piper to save my life while on it! You could try Pro Plan if your looking for higher quality and it shouldn't be as much as a shock to his system.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

I was hoping for something with no corn in it...

ThatsMyGirl Guest

You may just want to take longer to change over -- do the 1/4 cup for 5 days or more ... then up it. If you still have problems then you might want to reconsider. Other good foods, no corn: Innova LB Puppy & Canidae (it's all life stages and would be fine), and Wellness, too, I believe. But I'd try w/ the SG a bit more and see if it works. It's a big change going from puppy chow to SG. Good luck!

okie doke I will give it ONE more try! It is definitely a good food...so I don't want to give up on it yet...and it is definitely a big big change from purina...hehe