Food Recommendation - 4.5 month old lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Recommendation - 4.5 month old lab

BO JACK is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood Recommendation - 4.5 month old lab

Sorry - this is a repost that I originally posted under Introductions.

I was going to post this under Lab Health and Nutrition but for some reason it wouldn't let me...
    When BO was about 10-12 weeks old he started having diarrhea and after a week or two of taking him to the vet and having every test done, the vet said it was just "Sensitive Puppy Tummy"; so they put him on Purina EN and for the next 4 weeks or so we have been slowly increasing his normal food Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy.

The problem started when we initially brought him home from the breeder and he was on Purina ONE Large Breed Puppy and was doing fine. We decided to try an new; better food so we switched him over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy and that's when he started with the diarrhea. We bought the regular Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy and along with the Purina EN he's been doing fine.

He currently eats 4 times a day with a 1/4 cup of Purina EN and 3/4 cups of the Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy. Even now, there a days when his stool is a bit too soft which concerns us. Sooner or later we will need to get him on normal food and I'm wondering if we should stick with the Blue Buffalo or switch him back to the Purina One Large Breed Puppy? Is there any other food that might work for a puppy with sensitive tummy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Chances are he doesn't have a "sensitive tummy", he just doesn't agree with Blue, which is common. I've had really good luck with Pro Plan and I'd recommend trying that. Being that he did well on Purina One, Pro Plan is similar enough that I bet you'd be happy right away. I'd look for Pro Plan Sport 26/16 which you could feed for life.

Archie is offline Senior Member

I've known more dogs that do poorly on Blue than do well.

The best thing about that food is its advertising.

As Nicole said, I'd go back to something like Pro Plan. Don't be so worried about the dog food snobs - if it works for your dog, that's the most important thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

None of my dogs do well on Blue Buffalo. You might want to look up some facts, apparently they are being sued by Purina for false advertising.

Peach Wright is offline Junior Member

I fed my lab the Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy formula. It is all natural with no corn, or preservatives.
    Dog Breeds with Pictures from A-Z | Dog-Breeds.com

Peach Wright is offline Junior Member

I fed my lab the Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy formula.

Dog Breeds with Pictures from A-Z | Dog-Breeds.com

BO JACK is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone; over the past month after talking with our local vet, Bo has transitioned from the Purina EN (special food) to the regular Blue Buffalo Large Breed. He has been doing well. He eats 4 cups a day; 1 cup/4 times a day. I compared the Regular Blue to the Wilderness and noticed the Wilderness is much higher in Protein and Fat. Fingers crossed. Yesterday when we were at the vet, Bo had gained weight and at a week shy of 5 months, is now 49.5 lbs.

Critter is offline Junior Member

I feed my lab Authority Large Breed Puppy Formula She Has Never had a Problem With It ~ I think it just depends on what agrees with our fur babies ~ I did try to switch slowly over to Orijen Puppy and all was well until it was 75% Orijen 25% Authority and it did not agree with her ~ Good Luck

kyle_stallworth is offline Junior Member

Choosing the best puppy food for your new baby dog can be a daunting task. Try the Nature’s Logic (Dry), Nature’s Variety Instinct (Dry), Go! Fit and Free (Canned), and Great Life Essentials (Canned)

madigan11 is offline Junior Member

Blue Buffalo is definitely not a better food. I can't tell you how often I see recalls on Blue Buffalo and the so called "better" foods. Very rarely do you see recalls on Purina products. It does happen, but rarely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast