3-4 month growth spur and increasing food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-4 month growth spur and increasing food?

DonAnderson is offline Junior Member

Default3-4 month growth spur and increasing food?

We are using a quality puppy food that says from 3-4 month of age we should increase the amount to 3 cups from 2. Does this seem consistent with you all have experienced?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

quinn8 is offline Junior Member

What food are you using? I've learned in the past not to listen to the dog food guidelines. I've upped my 6 month-old labs food from 3 cups to 4 cups over a month ago. My vet told me that at some points when they grow they will need more food, then eventually you will be able to reduce it and keep it at a consistent amount.

Interesting we never gave our last lab over 3 cups a day. We are using Kirkland puppy food. He is 15 weeks old yesterday

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

My 9-10 week old puppies are eating 3 cups a day. Around 6 months they should be on 4 cups at a minimum.

yellowbelly, is this what your food bag says or the norm for most?? Out last lab never had more than 3 cups of day his whole life,...factoring in treats it was more of course

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Every litter is different, even w/in breeders. I had one litter that didn't need to go over 3C until they were well over 4 mos old yet I have a litter of (big) 9 wk olds that are already at 3C/day each. The typical guideline is a cup / month of age up to 5 mos but that is just a very typical old standard.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

nicole is offline Senior Member

I send puppies home on 3c a day.... I can't imagine feeding so little to a 3-4mo old puppy. How much does your puppy weigh?? The Kirkland guide I'm looking at says 4-4 3/4c a day for 3-4mo old puppies of labbish weight.

He weighs about 28 lbs and we have began giving him 3 cups plus treats for training. 16 weeks old this Monday and looking great!

KLR625 is offline Junior Member

My pup is 13 weeks and 23 lbs. I was at the vets yesterday for vaccines and asked when I should increase the amount of food. Mine is fed Fromms puppy and gets 1 cup 3x a day. The vet told me to go by how the pup looks/feels, she used her hand as an example which I found interesting. If you poke the palm of your hand she said is too "fat" if you touch the back of your hand she said is just right and feeling your knuckles would be too thin. Mine also gets a handful of treats when training during the day and looks well proportioned. I have been giving him 1 cup 3x a day since I got him at 9 weeks. She said you don't want a fat pup and they will eat as much as you will give them which is not good! She also said not to go by the back of the bag....just my experience to share!

BO JACK is offline Junior Member

Bo is 4.5 months and 48 lbs. and eats 4 cups a day. Vet told us he looks good and you shouldn't see ribs showing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast