Food causing grass eating?

Thread: Food causing grass eating?

quinn8 is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood causing grass eating?

Hello, my 6 month yellow lab is on earthborn meadow feast. Her and my 1.5 year old puggle was recently switched from blue buffalo freedom to earthborn about 2 months ago because I believe it's a better food and it got a lot of good reviews from people on this forum. Not sure if it's because of it being recently spring but they are eating grass, my puggle didn't do this last year, and it's my labs first spring, but should I mix their food with like a pro plan performance sport or a food like that? Why are they eating grass, because there's no "fillers" in earthborn? Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Not all dogs eat grass to be sick. I had collies who ate grass all their lives and were never sick with it, its not necessarily a sign of poor nutrition,don't start changing food too quickly. My lab is on high quality food and she loves certain blades of grass, this one really only grows in spring/summer so it doesn't bother me, i know when she is going to be sick as she eats a totally different type. Watch and see how they do eating grass..also monitor your dogs poo...it can tell you a lot about your dogs digestion.

quinn8 is offline Junior Member

Ok, thanks for the advice, my lab is believed to be border collie mix, she was a rescue. They have yet to get sick, but I will monitor them, thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

daft_biker is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lablover34198 View Post
    Not all dogs eat grass to be sick. I had collies who ate grass all their lives and were never sick with it, its not necessarily a sign of poor nutrition,don't start changing food too quickly. My lab is on high quality food and she loves certain blades of grass, this one really only grows in spring/summer so it doesn't bother me, i know when she is going to be sick as she eats a totally different type. Watch and see how they do eating grass..also monitor your dogs poo...it can tell you a lot about your dogs digestion.
    Tango is the same...I think he knows the grass in the back garden makes him sick and only eats it if he wants to get something up.

On walks I think he chews grass for refreshment mostly. ..in the morning when it's covered in nice clean and cool dew seems to be his favourite time for it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff has always been a big grass eater, especially in the spring with new grass. She's very fussy about which blades she eats and sniffs to identify those particular blades she likes. She does NOT do it to throw up or because she's sick. The only disadvantage is it causes occasional "danglers" when she poops.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BO JACK is offline Junior Member

Bo should be a cow...he loves grazing on grass and one of his favorite things seems to be dandelions...the vet told us not to worry some dogs like to eat grass but to watch that he doesn't eat to many dandelions as it could give him the runs.