Thick yellow mucous when she pees

Thread: Thick yellow mucous when she pees

Meghan13 is offline Junior Member

DefaultThick yellow mucous when she pees

Haley is almost 10 weeks old and I have noticed today that after she pees there is what looks like a thick yellow mucous around the area. There was a lot of it this morning and a little this evening. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, but does anyone know what this could be?
    I don't know if it is a related symptom but yesterday and today I have had to coax her to eat...she would eventually but it has taken triple the time...she just doesn't seem interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Possibly juvenile vaginitis? My lab had this until she had a season....that helps regulate the hormones.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

vaginitis. Wipe her after she pees. you don't need antibiotics from the vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

i would get the first urine of the morning and bring it in. (try using a ladle)
    there is no way anyone on this board, can say, you don't need antibiotics, sorry , but if it were my dog, i'd have the vet at least test the urine.

and if in fact it is vaginitis here's a link to read:https://mypeted.com/pet-health/artic...nitis-in-dogs/

Thank you all. I have been wiping her after she pees. I am going to go to the vet appointment tonight just to rule out anything else and test for possible UTI.
    Thank you for the link Mauricio

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mauricio View Post
    and if in fact it is vaginitis here's a link to read:https://mypeted.com/pet-health/artic...nitis-in-dogs/
    my lab was never treated with antibiotics, my vet firmly told me that they wouldn't help, the best thing was to maintain hygiene and allow her a season which i was planning to do anyway. Since her season she has never had vaginitis again.

no harm in ruling out a UTI.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lablover34198 View Post
    my lab was never treated with antibiotics, my vet firmly told me that they wouldn't help, the best thing was to maintain hygiene and allow her a season which i was planning to do anyway. Since her season she has never had vaginitis again.

no harm in ruling out a UTI.
    Your vet is correct True vaginitis is not bacteria and therefore, antib. will not help. Heat cycle/puberty usually stops it.

But some discharges can be bacterial and the vet would need to do a vaginal swab to check. On the chance that there won't be a discharge at the time you are at the vet try to collect some so the vet can at least see the color of it. I would not have the vet test that sample though because it has been exposed to the elements for too long and I would think you might get a false positive of bacteria.

Can't hurt to run a urinalysis too.

It turns out Haley does have a UTI and a mild case of suspected vaginitis. She is on clavamox for two weeks to help the UTI and I am to just make sure I keep the vulva and area clean after she goes outside to help with the vaginitis.
    It's day three of the antibiotics and I am noticing a positive difference! Now she only needs to get up once during the night, and she is squatting less frequently outside...usually just one pee per trip outside (about twice a day she will squat twice in a row)

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan13 View Post
    It turns out Haley does have a UTI and a mild case of suspected vaginitis. She is on clavamox for two weeks to help the UTI and I am to just make sure I keep the vulva and area clean after she goes outside to help with the vaginitis.
    It's day three of the antibiotics and I am noticing a positive difference! Now she only needs to get up once during the night, and she is squatting less frequently outside…usually just one pee per trip outside (about twice a day she will squat twice in a row)

glad you were able to get her to the vet, and yes, sometimes , a mild uti can occur, withsuspeted vaginitis. as others have said, i'd be vigilant washing the are, just to make sure the vulva area is clean after she goes.
    uti's, if you've ever had them as a human, can range from mild to wanting to climb the walls (did that once, in the ER) and come from almost out of nowhere.
    hopefully, it won't happen often and she will be kept in check, with cleansing.