How do you exercise your lab(s)?

View Poll Results: How you you execise your lab(s)?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daily walks

16 37.21%
  • Swimming

11 25.58%
  • Frisbee, catch, etc...

11 25.58%
  • Other...let me know below

5 11.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you exercise your lab(s)?

ChewyCharlie Guest

DefaultHow do you exercise your lab(s)?

I think there was a poll about this on the old forum, but I'm not so sure...oh well, I am going to run it again anyway.

Just curious as to how you all exercise your labs. We have two dogs in our house, Charlie is ours, and there is also a sheppard/bordercollie cross (BIL's dog) We always let the two of them play together outside for as long as they like, till they are tired or till they want to come in. We are also planning on introducing Charlie to the lake that is just a five minute walk down the road from our house…hehe... once the lake is warm enough, the ice is finally gone!! Charlie is 6 months old and still growing like a weed, and he is in excellent shape, and we want to keep it that way always

For any of you that live in areas where everything, including the lake, freezes during the winter, when do you generally start bringing your labs back to the lake??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do you exercise your lab(s)?

I'd love to go running with Jes since I like to run, but his hip dysplasia makes that not such a great idea, so we settle for daily walks and swimming. There is a good place around here where I can let him off leash and he can run around while I walk so he burns a bit more calories that a leashed walk and he's off the pavement so it's better on his hips.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

My pups get their exercise from swimming, playing fetch, and chasing each other.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Henry gets his best exercise playing Chuck-It! and romping around our friend's 10-acre backyard! Since we can't do that every day, he usually settles for a good long walk (or two), and daycare.* ;D

He'll also start swimming again once it warms up a little here!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We go for long walks, swim, retreive and play for exercise. I am a big walker/outdoorsy person and tend to take the dogs out for 2-3 hours a day off leash. They also have access to our fenced in backyard where, in good weather, they like to spend the bulk of the day --their choice. ;D

ChewyCharlie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    in good weather, they like to spend the bulk of the day --their choice.* ;D
    Charlie loves it outside too, even in the middle of winter, with lots of snow on the ground, he would play outside with the other dog for hours. As long as he was moving he was warm, and he barely wanted to come inside even once he got cold, but a treat usually did the trick. Now with the nicer weather he just wants to be outside all the time, come summer, I think we will have to "drag" him in...hehe

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

I usually bring Bosco to the "dog run". He loves it there, because he's free and meets tons of dogs. It's a huge piece of land in the coulees.
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I checked "other".

Puff and I go out early every morning for a 2˝ mile walk and, for 9 months of the year, that's followed by 10 minutes of swimming retrieves from a clean lake.

On our walks, Puff gets 30-40 retrieves with training (we're working on go Left, go Right).*

Some of her retrieves involve sending her back 1/8 to 1/4 miles to pick up a training dummy I've dropped on our trail.

Others, I sling out into a field and she goes after it.

Sometimes, I put a wash cloth over her face and eyes so she can't see where I sling the TD and then direct her to it.

I figure in my walking 2˝ mniles, Puff probably gets 7.

At any rate, it completely pacifies her for the day -- until, like Marley, she has a chance to ride in our van.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I would love for Duke to be able to go with Bob Pr's Puff, I would truely have one tired lab. But, living in the suburbs definitly has it's limitations.

Duke gets 2 walks a day and 2 trips to the park on the weekends. My husband is retired, so Duke gets a daily lunch time walk with him. When I get home from work, it's chase time, retrieve time and the nitely walk. On the weekends he gets 3 walks and a trip to the park. I have truly learned that "A tired lab is a good Lab"

If something varies the routine...OH BOY.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

I run Jaida 4 miles four times a week, followed by an intensive fetch session at our nearby park. The days that I don't run her, I still take her to the park to fetch. Whenever we visit my folks or inlaws, she plays a ton of fetch and swims like a fish since they both have pools.
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast