Just Labradors banner

Gas??

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  sarah 
#1 ·
I have noticed the past two days that Raven has HORRIBLE gas. We've only had her for a week and a half. She has loud farts that I can hear and I'm constantly spritzing the air with lysol to cover up the horrendous smell. It's possible that she has had the problem since we got her because up until yesterday she was able to spend a lot of time outside, but yesterday it started getting rainy and cold so she's cooped up in the house. Do you guys have any ideas? :confused:

#3 ·
No, she's an adult; two years. I feed the Xclusive brand from PMI Nutrition. Here is an ingredient list:
Chicken, chicken meal, brewers rice, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, chicken
fat preserved with mixed tocopherols (a form of vitamin E), corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp,
dried egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, cholline chloride
glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper
proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate,
manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A
supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine
hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement,
folic acid.
I also give milkbones as treats and that's it.

#4 ·
Oh, I almost forgot, I started giving her chew hooves with a bit of peanut butter smeared inside today to keep her busy. She still loves to chew and will chew up things she's not supposed to chew if she doesn't have something yummy....so with her cooped up in the house I got her these to keep her busy. The gas started before today though; so I doubt these things are the problem.

#6 ·
They are cow hooves. But, the gas started before I started giving those. Also, her stools are really soft more often than not. She pooped in the house TWICE this evening, which she never does. I don't know if she's having a hard time holding it because it's soft or if she just doesn't want to go outside in this weather.

#12 ·
Wow. How frustrating. I live in a small town and rarely travel out of town. I think the food I'm feeding is the best food that you can buy here. You can also get Science Diet at the vet, but I've heard of pet owners who don't think it's that great. What do you guys think about it?

#14 ·
I thought you'd say that about Science Diet. When I mentioned her problems to the vet, he also asked about the food we feed, but didn't see a problem with the food we use. She passed some worms, so we gave her a booster dose of wormer and we're waiting to see how things shape up. It seems the gas is a bit better and her stools are firming up. I've also noticed that she will vomit in her mouth if she gets too active right after a meal.

#18 · (Edited)
I know you said your dog had gas before but just a warning: those hooves with pnut butter were recalled due to salmonella. Not sure I'd be feeding those right now.

Hannah had wicked gas the first time I gave her a mix of cauliflower/broccoli where I was following her around with NutraAir & spraying all around her. TG it didn't last.

SD doesn't really have great ingredients......I agree that vets are not nutritionists & they do make a profit from the food they sell. I have a terrific article somewhere about whether vets should be recommending pet food & if I can find it, will post.

I think I'd try to cut out treats first & if that doesn't help, the only thing left to change is the food. (I wonder if the dewormer may have caused this.)

A little pumpkin in the food is great for loose stools.

Found the link: great article (as usual) from Susan Thixton:

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/ar...terinarians-to-Recommend-Pet-Foods/Page1.html

#20 ·
I may check out the prices on food that I could possibly mail order. If I buy the biggest bag of the brand I get now, it's $35 for 35 pounds.

I don't give the hooves WITH peanut butter. I buy plain hooves and smear a bit of safe PB inside. Besides, the gas started before I started feeding those.

Good news, her stools have shaped up quite a bit. She still gags and vomits a bit into her mouth if she plays too soon after eating. Is this normal?

#22 ·
Glad you use your own pb.......I just remember seeing those hooves/w pb were recalled. (I didn't tell you about that because of the gas, I told you about that so your dog wouldn't get sick.)

I thought I read a long time ago that a dog shouldn't be exercised for an hour after eating (I also don't take her in the car for at least an hour after eating). I'm not sure about that but I thought I read something like that. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.