Ear cleaning with rubbing alcohol?

Thread: Ear cleaning with rubbing alcohol?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultEar cleaning with rubbing alcohol?

I read somewhere it was okay to squirt a little rubbing alcohol in the ears after swimming to help dry them out. We also have a solution from the vet, but it's fairly expensive. Is just the rubbing alcohol okay to squirt in there?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ear cleaning with rubbing alcohol?

Try "Labby's purple ear solution."* There was a thread about it not long ago.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
    Dot in Northern Illinois

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Ouch! If there is any evidence of inflammation/redness, this would (and does- I know, I have chronic ear problems, too!) really sting!

I would use something more gentle and less alcohol-based. Labby's purple stuff seems to be a great cleaner.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"Do not use alcohol, ether or other irritating solvents; they can cause intense pain and inflame the tissues." p. 185, Giffin & Carlson

Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook," 3rd edition, 2000, 570+ pp, $30 list, $25 Amazon (US$). It has a useful 44 page chapter on emergencies and first aid. This book saves worry, money from vet bills, and your dog's health; it repays its price many times over. Every dog should come with one; every dog owner should refer to it whenever needed.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for posting the Handbook....I'm sure it also saves some "PANIC" moments!
    I have to buy it!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone

I though Labby's purple stuff was just for possible infections though? Is it okay for everyday use?

I'm looking for something not too expensive that is okay to use after he swims every day just to dry the ears out. He goes bobbing for sticks a lot, so I know water is getting down in there.

I need to order that Vet Handbook too, it's definitely on the birthday list!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

I have had two vets reccommend a solution that is comprised of 1/3 purified water, 1/3 white vinegar, and 1/3 rubbing alcohol. It not only sterilizes, but helps to dry out any water left in the ears from swimming etc. Works great for Jaida!

Quote Originally Posted by yellojakesmom
    I though Labby's purple stuff was just for possible infections though? Is it okay for everyday use?

I'm looking for something not too expensive that is okay to use after he swims every day just to dry the ears out. He goes bobbing for sticks a lot, so I know water is getting down in there.
    At the very bottom of that page (linked above in the thread), there's this (I added bolded bits):
    I must warn you all, if your dog isn't having problems with its ears DO NOT USE ANYTHING IN THEM. If you do you could upset the pH balance and actually cause ear problems. If its not broke don't fix it! Just wipe these ears with a clean/dry cotton ball weekly and count yourselves among the lucky ones.
    I have to admit, when I started reading this thread (and even when I first started reading the page for that recipe), my mind began to race ... "Kluane likes it when I scratch just under the opening of her ear ... Is she infected!?" or "Oh no! I've been taking her to the lake and ponds, and letting her gallumph through puddles at the dog park, and haven't been wiping her ears! eeek" ... but after seeing that little bit at the bottom, I calmed down again ;D

Yes, I worry sometimes that I'm not doing things right, but I do know that I check her ears regularly. They have never had anything build up in them, and they've never smelled ... and I don't clean them. I think if I do change anything, I might consider drying her ears out with a cotton ball after swimming from now on ... maybe.

That said, thanks for the link to the recipe - because if ever there is a day when she gets an ear infection, that looks like a good recipe to use.

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

We have had great results here with the purple ear solution, both for problem ears and monthly upkeep. I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure how well it works or if you would use it daily but I got some stuff at PetSmart that is kind of a power that's made to dry their ears after cleaning or water. I havne't used it much though I normally use use a cotton ball.

Mocha got a bad ear infection after swimming last summer so I will clean hers our after swimming from now on but she only goes a few times a summer. I would just try a cotton ball most days and maybe clean them once a week or so.