Lab Catching Birds and Rats

Thread: Lab Catching Birds and Rats

Koda is offline Member

DefaultLab Catching Birds and Rats

i've had my 7 month old yellow lab (Koda) for almost 2 weeks now. sometimes when i take him in the backyard to go potty and leave him unsupervised for a few minutes he ends up with a bird or rat in his mouth. i don't know if they were dead when he found them or if he's the one that killed them. should i be concerned about any diseases he could possibly catch? i don't think he's had his rabies shot either because he doesn't have the tags and his shot records don't show that he's gotten them yet. thanks for the help guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chief YellowDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab Catching Birds and Rats

EEEkkkk!! First off, get that rabies shot already. Second, don't leave him outside alone.
    <br />******<br />Sara<br />******<br />The dog was created specially for children.&nbsp; He is the god of frolic.&nbsp; ~Henry Ward Beecher

Lizzie-May is offline Senior Member

We also have found Lizzie (6 months) running around the garden with birds in her mouth, we are also not sure if she killed them or not. The first time this happened I was a bit upset as it was a baby robin....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

rats, or indeed any warm-blooded mammal, like squirrels, racoons, etc, can carry rabies, and it can spread to you too, if you got some of the dog's saliva, for example, on you, or you touched the infected animal--even if dead. so use gloves when you dispose of them--IMO a rat is NOT easy to catch unless it is sickly.
    so get those shots NOW!
    FYI--in addition, if this dog was to bite someone, even a graze of the skin, without having the rabies shot, they would immediately send his HEAD to a pathology lab for testing.......
    birds cannot carry or transmit rabies, but it's something i would discourage....i like birds!

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Well it's a pretty common occurance that Jes tries to get rabbits, squirrels and rats, but he rarely suceeds. The one thing I'd be concerned with is if the rats had gotten into some poison, then the dog tries to eat it...obviously that poison is now in the dog.

As for being "gross," I wouldn't say that...they're just being dogs. As the others said, though, I'd get that rabies shot for him as soon as possible. Around here, squirrels and racoons are not common carriers of rabies (not sure how it is in CA though). Our big transmitters are skunks, opossums, and I believe bats.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Where did you get Koda where you're not sure if he's had a rabies shot yet? Unusual. I would take him in immediately for a vaccine and do not let him outside unsupervised. What if the rat did have rabies and bit him for teasing it?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Blazes Mom is offline Member

I agree with the rabies shot. I never leave Blaze unattended. If I need to go potty, she comes with me. Call me paranoid but .......

My daughter got a hamster for Easter (early present) and I swear every chance she gets,,, she nips the hamster little ass... Its amazing she didnt tear it off, I mean the hamster's but is how big ..... :

curly is offline Senior Member

You have to remember that a lab's instinct (by nature) is to catch animals / retrieve them. I did not believe this until I saw a young bird fall from a tree and immediately take off, flying about 2-3 foot from the ground. The next thing I know Nuno had taken off after the bird, jumping head-first into a large shrub, only to come out wih the bird in his mouth. He was very gentle with it (not drawing blood or "crunching" it) and threw the bird up in the air a few times and looking at it like "get up, lets play". Needless to say, the bird didn't play much .

I agree that you should get your dog's shot updated ASAP and watch for signs of "sickness".