Large breed puppy food

Thread: Large breed puppy food

Paul0130 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLarge breed puppy food

Hello. I'm curious to know what puppy food our experienced Lab owners have used in the past. From what I understand, if you feed a large breed dog regular puppy food, the higher protein and calcium causes them to grow too fast which can lead to hip and other problems later in life. So now they have large breed puppy food that is lower in protein and calcium. Feeding your dog a quality food being a given, the idea is the dog is going to grow to full size whether you feed them regular puppy food or large breed puppy food just at a different rate. The large breed puppy food I am looking into has 24 protein, 12 fat, 4.5 fiber, and .65 min 1.15 max calcium (about 0.9). The regular puppy food has 28 protein, 16 fat, 3.5 fiber, 1.07 calcium. I have also heard of folks switching their puppies from puppy food to dog food at 12 weeks to keep them from growing too fast. So what is everyone's experience with this? Just want to make sure my puppy grows up big and strong with no hip issues. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

what is the breeder using/recommending? I would usually go with that unless there was a reason i couldnt

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I prefer higher than 24 protein and 12 fat for a growing pup as long as the calcium is not too high. I would choose the regular pup over the LBP of the brand you are looking at.

What is the food you are looking at?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I was looking at Innova:
    Pet Products - Healthy Dog Food, Natural Cat Food, Gourmet Dog Biscuits ? Innova Holistic Pet Food
    I heard this was a good brand, but would love to hear what everyone else is using out there with their Lab pups (successfully of course). Thanks!

I replied yesterday, but it didn't appear to take. I'm looking at Innova right now:
    Pet Products - Healthy Dog Food, Natural Cat Food, Gourmet Dog Biscuits ? Innova Holistic Pet Food

I would love to hear what our experienced Lab owners have used on their pups in the past. Some folks just switch from regular puppy food to dog food at 12 weeks to accomplish the same thing. FYI, breeder recommendation is lamb and rice, which is probably what I will do (follow their expertise) unless I see a compelling reason to go with large breed puppy food. Thanks!

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Labs aren't a large breed, they are a medium breed. I would never feed a pup lower than 26/16...unless you want to screw up their development.

Mr Lab man is offline Junior Member

I just switched my 6 month puppy from lifes abundance puppy food to flint river ranch adult food,I was reading somewere on this forum that people were switching anywere from 4 months to 12 months, am I doing the right thing ????.
    thanks for advice.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you got your pup from a breeder what did they tell you to do. It can depend on the food you feed. Origen recommends switching to adult at 12-14 months (spoke with a nutritionist on staff). You have to be careful of calcium levels for growing pups.

DuryLane is offline Member

Any chance you'd consider feeding your puppy a fresh, real food diet?

I've raised several large breed puppies on a fresh, real food diet and one thing I can say is, they have been the healthiest, soundest puppies I have raised. Since having such positive experiences feeding a real food diet, I am convinced that a fresh, real food diet is the healthiest way to go for your best chance to raise an orthpedically sound puppy. Good thing about a real food diet is you can tailor it specifically to your individual puppy's needs. Health will be awesome, and as they say, once you go to a real food diet, you'll never go back to kibble.