8 Year old getting Novox and Glucosamine...Your experience?

Thread: 8 Year old getting Novox and Glucosamine...Your experience?

matt44 is offline Junior Member

Default8 Year old getting Novox and Glucosamine...Your experience?

Hello-

Happy to be here in the forum, this is my first post.

My dog's name is Seamus. He''s 8 and I am just finishing his first bottle of Novox and glucosamine for sore joints, for an increasing unwillingness to jump up and down. He is a 100 pounder, so I can understand. I am trying to keep him a loose and as comfortable as possible and it seems to have helped. That said, the doctor originally started me on a chewable that cost hundreds of dollars. After doing some research, I found a non-chewable that I mix into his food. It goes down every time without a problem. The bottle of pills I have are Novox 100mg caplets in a quantity of 180. The Glucosamine/Chondroitin I have are called Dasuquin made by Nutramax. I'm wondering what, if any, info or experience others have that may be of use; namely types of comparable products and where people are getting them for the best price. I bought my last batch of the pills at a site called valleyvet.com, and they were about $100 mailed to my front door (as opposed to the $300 the vet was selling for the same in chewable). As far as the Glucosamine/Chondroitin, I haven't run out yet but it is also a prescription only, and would drove input from other prior to buying more.
    Best wishes to you and your best buddy.
    -Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Coopsti99 is offline Junior Member

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure about the Novox but I do give my dog Dasuquin chewables with MSM (yellow bag) and I get them through my vet for $52.99 for a 84 count bag. He eats them as treats and he hasn't had any strange side effects. Cooper is only 4 years old but has a strained ACL and the vet recommended getting him on a glucosamine supplement. The Dasuquin without MSM (teal bag) is only $47.34 through my vet and it's $84.99 through 1800PetMeds.com.

Looks like the Novox is $184 for the 180 count 100mg bottle on 1800PedMeds, so you're getting a good deal.

Good luck! Hope you find what works for your pup!
    Cooper & Ang

CallieAndKing is offline Member

Vets charge more for the supplements you mention and say that it is because they are more "affective" than over the counter brands. We use Kirkland Glouc and MSM supplements and also their milk bones as a treat with added glouc and chrondroitin. The dog food we feed also has the supplements in them. For the arthritis symptoms we use Apple Cider Vinegar. It has been shown to break down the crystalized growth associated with arthritis.

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

clark5080 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CallieAndKing View Post
    For the arthritis symptoms we use Apple Cider Vinegar. It has been shown to break down the crystalized growth associated with arthritis.
    Could you tell more about the Apple Cider Vinegar? What dosage ect?