Kennel Cough advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Cough advice

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel Cough advice

Hi y'all.... ok... so now that we KNOW the problem and vet checked his lungs and they were clear... I need some ideas.

Vet said it was "okay" to take him on the bike trail but to "warn other dog owners that he's sick so they may not want to get close." This seems a little dumb to me... not to mention... if his immune system is fighting one thing, won't he be more susceptible to other things? (Dog owners around here don't allways pick up their dog poop... yuck!)

Does Ender need more rest? I would assume so... but I don't want to prevent him from being active if he needs that as well. Here's where the "active" question comes in since we don't have a yard... should we still take him on walks around the neighborhood? You are less likely to come face to face with a dog and MUCH less likely to come across dog poop.... but should we just avoid that for two weeks?

Vet put him on a bland diet for the next few days 'cause of the diarhea he was having. Does this mean no treats? banana/yogurt frozen kongs? or kong with a dab of peanut butter? (I forgot to ask)

Thanks for your help.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough advice

I would say not to walk him in the neighborhood but maybe others will think differently. Mocha had a bout with KC not to long ago but she's vaccinated and it wasn't bad at all. It's a little harder on puppies from what I've heard. I was told that activity will make the cough worse so I would try to keep him calm and just short potty breaks outside the door. You can give Robitussen for the cough but just the plain stuff not the DM (I think that's the one).

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

From my understanding, a bland diet means no extras... But we still put the rice & chicken in CoCo's Kong for her...
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would keep him home; KC is very contagious. Also, no extras for a few days. You could probably do chicken and rice vs. the SD Hills ... but until you start seeing formed poops; I'd stick with the bland diet.

labby is offline Senior Member

exercise keeps the lungs active. a short walk or being out in a yard for a bit is good for him. just nothing strenuous. i don't let mine just lay around.

bland diet means just that. no extras.

Laura

Would cheerios be bland?

Should we try to get him to run around the house instead of outside?
    ~Lindsay

I'm speaking mostly about training 'cause I would like to give him something for going into the crate nicely... and start working on other stuff this weekend.... so would cheerios be bland enough?
    ~Lindsay

I wouldn't get him "running" so to speak, but walking around the yard or like labby said, a leash walk; I just would not go where you will be around other dogs.
    I don't know about the cheerios ... I would probably cheat and give them because I'm a sucker for those eyes; so don't listen to me. When mine are eating chicken/rice, I usually give them a mild dog biscuit before they go to bed; but Ender is still a puppy, so I dunno........

labby is offline Senior Member

bland is bland......no extras!!! cheerios, while usually not a problem, could be just the thing that causes him diarreha again. you need to rest that gut.

not to scare you, but i'm thinking you might need a bit of fright at this point, this is a young puppy. young puppies do not have a lot of umph to get over illness. they can take a turn very quickly. moreso than an older dog who has built up an immune system.

use common sense here. a bit of walking around the yard and a bland diet. period.

Laura

Yes Ma'am! ;D Thanks labby.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast