Very sad and frustrated.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very sad and frustrated.

raysonawav is offline Junior Member

DefaultVery sad and frustrated.

Hi Everyone, We have been having a problem with our dog Maverick. He's been having peeing accidents alot. Almost like he has forgotten his training. We took him to the vet last week and they ran blood and urine test. The only thing that came back was that his urine had to much water content. What the vet explained to us is that Maverick may have a form of diabetes call DI. It's where the brain keeps telling the dog that it's thirsty so he will keep drinking. The result is peeing. The medication to fix this problem is $150 a month. The vet said that if he did have DI at 11 months old we should consider putting him down and get another pup. I even called the breeder and asked her if any of the other pups where having the same problem from that litter. She called all of they and none had any problems.

We are taking him to another vet today, for a second opinion. It's just weird how he was able to hold it all night long in the past and all of a sudden if we give him any extra water, other then the 2 cups with dinner, he's peeing in his crate or bed even when he's laying down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Very sad and frustrated.

The vet said that if he did have DI at 11 months old we should consider putting him down and get another pup.
    OMG, I would drop that a$$bag vet in a heartbeat!!!!! >
    Definitely get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. I would think extra water in the urine is just that - extra water!!!! My Frankie drinks a ton of water too, that's what labs do. Isn't there a specific test they can do to determine if it's DI?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

raysonawav is offline Junior Member

We have a appointment tonight. I am hoping that it's a bladder infection or something treatable. The poor guy had a accident last night. He sleeps on a dog bed next to ours. At about 4.30am he went to the door and started whining. I thought he was gust hungry, so I told him to go back to bed. He did and peed on his bed. Then he jumped up into our bed and laid down and peed there too. I felt bad, he tried to tell us that he had to go and we ignored it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like he might have a urinary tract infection. The vet can test for this.

I hope he's OK.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I'd definitely be getting a second opinion on that. *

What is it with stupid vets lately. *Is this what they teach in vet school now? *A friend's dog was just diagnosed with Addisons. *Her vet told her to put the dog down too....a young dog who is relatively healthy currently. *I told her to get more info. *She has and she discovered that the dog can live a relatively normal life with Addison's. *It isn't the death sentence the vet originally made it out to be and certainly not a reason to put down a dog.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Before spending $150 a month on meds or putting him down, why wouldn't they suggest the simple LIMIT HIS WATER option??? I hope the vet your seeing for a second opinion has a little more sense!
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add that my Piper (13 months) will still have accidents if I allow her to drink all she wants...I think it's a pretty common problem. I just tell her "thats enough" if she's being a water hog....no more accidents
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

I just wanted to add that my Piper (13 months) will still have accidents if I allow her to drink all she wants
    My Frankie, too. He just turned 1.

pluto is offline Senior Member

Jeez diabetes insipidus is rather rare condition in dogs..It is basically due to either of the 2 factors-

1) the pitutary( a gland) isnt secreting a hormone called Anti diuretic hormone (ADH)

2) the Kidneys arent taking up the hormone ADH

Most cases are congential in nature but as u have said that the others in this liiter are fine we can rule it out to some extent however not complete..I WOULD RECOMEND GETTING A PITUTARY SCAN BEING DONE SO AS TO RULE OUT TUMOUR PITUTARY GLAND..

as far as treatment in dogs is concerned being a human doctor i really dont know the cost..but i really doubt that getting a week's desmopressin can be that costly..

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I'm having a bit of a worry about my pup drinking more than is usual right now. I thought that they normally check to see if there is sugar in the urine when checking for diabetes, but maybe this is for a different type of diabetes???

Hope you get good news with Maverick and it isn't anything serious.
    Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast