Food Suggestions for Co-worker

Thread: Food Suggestions for Co-worker

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood Suggestions for Co-worker

A woman I work with asked me about dog foods yesterday, knowing that my lab had skin and ear issues for a while.* *She has a senior large Golden with flaky skin, gooky ears, and occasionally gets hot spots.* They feed Science Diet and are thinking of switching.

My lab, Reba, is getting Natural Balance venison and rice and doing great.* I see ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach on the list today.* Any others that I can suggest to her?*

Thanks,*
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Food Suggestions for Co-worker

It definitely sounds like the dog has allergies of some sort. They could be food related or they could be environmental. A vet would be the best one to advise her. When I adopted Murray he had both ears infected, a large hot spot, and licked and scratched until we both almost went insance. The first thing I did was eliminate common allergens from his diet. The second thing I did was schedule a vet appt. The vet did not believe his allergies were food related but were instead environmental. After keeping track for 1 yr, I noticed a pattern to his symptoms. Mar/Apr and Sep/Oct were the worst months. Consequently those are also high allergy seasons for people too.

If your friend wants to change foods it wouldn't hurt to look for foods with fewer known allergy producing ingredients. Wheat and corn are common allergens. Some protein sources (beef, lamb, chicken) can also be a source of allergies.

Tell your friend to find a food (and treats) with a different protein source (fish, turkey, rabbit, buffalo or something unique...not beef, chicken or lamb) and also tell her to avoid wheat and corn in food and treats. Try a food that uses rice or potatoes. Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Eagle Pack, Pro Plan, Purina One are just a few brands that carry foods that might work.

A dry, flaky coat can be symptomatic of several things...thyroid problems, food allergies, lack of essential fatty acids. Try adding fish oil capsules to the food to help with the dry coat and schedule a vet appointment to get a medical opinion on what could be causing all the problems.

Here is an article about hotspots that you might find interesting. It talks about ways to improve the immunity system and also mentions that the coat/skin is the first line of defense so those have to be healthy.

http://www.labradorwell.com/Hotspots.html

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

I have passed the information on to her -- food and hot spots.* * Thank you for replying.* *I hope it helps, because Riley sounds like a prince among dogs.* She often has stories to tell about him.

Judy
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

um, lets just say the owner of that site with the supplements is um, well let's just say i don't recommend anything they say at this point.

Laura

dare1969 Guest

I'm doing Blue Buffalo brand...I like it cause no wheat, no corn, no soy.
    You can check it out at their website
    http://www.bluebuff.com/
    Hope that helps.