Please help! I have a 5 month old yellow lab that has a leaky bladder since we got her at 9 weeks old. The vet put her on Proin and it helped for a few weeks but now it is not helping at all. I have to put a diaper on her...which she Hates! She can go for hours without leaking and then all the sudden she drips. Or she lays down to chew on a toy and when she gets up there is a wet spot. I have had her to 2 different vets who have never seen anything like it. The 2nd vet wants me to take her to a specialist 2 hours away that is very expensive. $200 just for a consult. I have researched ectopic ureter but it does not happen all the time. Her name is Remi and she is the sweetest pup I have ever had..she was house trained in one week and she listens and is just a big teddy bear but she gets so upset when I have to put a diaper on her. She has also had 3 bladder infections in the last 3 months. Every time she goes off the meds she gets another one.. Am at the end of my rope.. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated..
I can not believe that you have no responses to your thread. I am not on this board very often.
I would take her to a specialist if your vets can not figure this out. Is she spayed? And if so at what age? This could be spay incontinence.
The fact that she has leaked since 9 weeks old. Have you contacted the breeder (if you got her from one)?
I have only had on pup in over 40 years with ectopic ureter and that pup leaked daily from birth. Surgery corrected it.
Are you sure this pup does not have a recessed vulva (RV)? This can cause urinary tract infections (UTI) and could be the reason for the leaking. Even on and off; when a EU would most likely be constant leaking.
Here is more info. Feel free to email me personally if you think she has a RV (since I am rarely on this board).
Recessed/Inverted/Hooded Vulvas and Chronic Infections | Hearty Pet Talkin' Tails Blog
i agree with patty. a specialist visit.
and then if there's nothing surgically that can be done, send me a message. i have success with chinese herbs .
Thank you so much for responding! I thought I was doing something wrong as I had no responses
She is not spayed- she is scheduled to go on April 18th- she will be 6 months old.
I have contacted the breeder- he was very nice (actually refunded me all the money when I sent him a copy of all my vet bills) but stated that he had no idea there were any issues and none of his other pups have or ever had this problem.
I asked both vets I took her to about recessed vulva and they said no.
I just had her to the vet on Friday as I think she has her 4th bladder infection and they stuck a needle in her bladder to get a sterile urine sample to send away to be cultured.
She went 4 FULL days last week without leaking so we were praying that she was better but then she started leaking again and we noticed the strong smell and a little green/yellow discharge.
I should find out today what kind of bacteria she has and maybe if they put her on the right antibiotic she will finally get better.
Maurico- thank you also for responding. At this point I am game for anything to help her
If your vet hasn't been able to help get a second opinion or better yet a specialist. NOthing wrong with getting an opinion from someone else that may have experience something similar and offer different potential causes. But specialist would probably be the best bet.
Personally I would not spay her until you have more answers, it may make things worse or irreversible.
What are you feeding?
i wouldn't spay yet either. first figure out the issue, perhaps a second specialist opinion.
I agree with others on not spaying till you find out the cause. Some vets do not know what a recessed vulva looks like. Did you compare her to the pic at the top of my blog to be sure she is not recessed?
Thanks to all for responding- I had a culture done and it was determined that she has a Staph infection. The vet says that she is not sure if there is still an underlying cause for the leaky bladder and that we need to wait until her staph is gone to see.
Patty- I did read your blog and it was very helpful and informative. I am going to get a picture of her vulva and email it to you so you can give me your opinion but the vets(2) say no RV.
Nicole- I did have her on blue wilderness but read that the protein can cause UTI's so I switched her to Purina One puppy for now.
I also have a 4 month old chocolate lab puppy who just finished her 3rd round of antibiotics for UTI's. They are both scheduled to be spayed on April 18th but I will cancel if either one continue to have issues.
Again- thanks to all who responded. It is greatly appreciated and I will let you know how the girls make out!