Kennel cough I guess! (update)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel cough I guess! (update)

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel cough I guess! (update)

Well... after all that talk yesterday about how Ender hadn't coughed in 4 days... he made up for it by gagging/coughing/hacking on and off since 1 am.* I'm feeling soooooooooo bad and guilty for his "pain".

He ate just fine this morning and is drinking normally... though the little rascal peed on the rug to the outside door as I was groggily unlocking it.* I was in such shock I just sort of stood there unable to say anything since he's been excellent about holding it.* I think perhaps the poor fella just had too much going on.

He hasn't hacked or coughed (or gagged) since breakfast.* i'm going to call the vet in 2 hrs when the normally open thier doors.

I'm going to take a vacation day and stay home with him... but I'm wondering... what can I do to ease his pain?* Is there something else I should be looking out for?* If it's allergies he wasn't exposed to anything last night that was new.

Edited to add: Now he has diareha. It took him forever to poop... he kept wandering around with his legs spread trying to get it all out. And he coughed when coming back in.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kennel cough I guess!

Hey, don't have any advice, but just wanted to say I hope Ender gets better soon!!!!
    ~Jo & CoCo

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

You can give him Robitussin for the cough (I forget which one though, ask your vet!!). I don't think he's in too much pain, I think it's more annoying to them, than anything. When Frankie had it, my vet said you just have to pretty much wait it out. It should clear up within 2 weeks (although Frankie had it for a month, but his case was the exception).

Give him a kiss for me!! :-*

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Jo. *I'm quite worried/surprised that this would happen "all of a sudden" when he's been perfectly fine for the entire time he's been here... not even a week yet!!

Now I'm not sure if it's allergy to something since he hasn't really coughed or anything since breakfast. *Perhaps that fleece in his crate? *Who knows. *That's why I'm staying home today to monitor him.
    ~Lindsay

DefaultRe: Kennel cough I guess! (update)

When I brought my Scoot-man home 5 years ago, he was a healthy tubby puppy. Within 5 days he came dowm with KC. He got it from the breeders (some dogs were shown the weekend before and brought it home to the kennel). I called my breeder and out of 8 puppies 5 got it. It's one of those nasty common bugs, you just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't progress into a bacterial infection.

Good luck with Ender,

Thanks Patti. I think my mom exposed Ender and Apollo to some dog that had it since they both came down with it relatively at the same time. I'll have to give mom a piece of my mind!!! (just kidding... it's not her fault)
    ~Lindsay

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I hope Ender feels better soon. Scotty was put on a steroid (which made him super thirsty) and anti-bacterial pill for KC. It cleared within a week-week and a half.

True KC is viral - anitbiotics will not help. If there is a secondary bacterial infection the antibiotics will help get over it but usually they don't put them on meds like that unless they are experiencing other symptoms.

Well that's a bummer. Sorry he's feeling sick.

Thanks for the kind words. Ender is doing okay with just coughing once in a while now... sleeping and eating comfortably.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast