Epilepsy diagnosis

Thread: Epilepsy diagnosis

lovin4dml is offline Junior Member

DefaultEpilepsy diagnosis

My 2 year old lab was just diagnosed with Epilepsy. They put her on meds about 2.5 weeks ago but now she's acting drunk from them. Seizures were extremely mild luckily. Any tips on managing her now?

Jack 8/2010
    Molly 11/2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jazzypad1 is offline Member

It does take time to get used to the epilepsy drugs and acting drunk is certainly one of the side effects.
    You mention that the seizures were mild - how frequent were they? I'm asking because most vets do not medicate unless the seizures are at least once a month, or occur in clusters, or the dog has previously gone into status epilepticus. Dogs with mild epilepsy often do OK without anticonvulsant medication.

lovin4dml is offline Junior Member

When diagnosed she had only had 3. One last fall, then 2 5 days apart 3.5 weeks ago. She's purebred, young, fairly healthy no other issues. She is heavy for her size. Though restricted on diet she's a thief and a trash raider! By mild I mean noticeable but not full blown grand maul. She starts out by losing some control of her legs. She sounds like an elephant trying to walk. Then can't fully control her direction. She still goes forward but stumbles into stuff. All while attempting to get to me. I lay her on her side and rub her belly (her favorite thing) to help her relax. While she's laying down you can see her legs and head twitching. This continues on for 2-3 minutes. She had another 3 days after she was put on meds. She goes right back to normal after. It freaks out other lab out for a few hours after. All 4 episodes occurred in the late afternoon or later. Was told she's a textbook case.

Jack 8/2010
    Molly 11/2011

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

I haven't had any experience with dogs with epliepsy or seizures but I had a cat who due to what we think was a brain tumor had them in his last year or so of his life. It took a while to get the dosage correct to control them and not have him be a zombie. And even after I thought I had it right, he'd have another episode. His situation is different than your pup's where he had the tumor. He always seemed to have them at night and would go under things like beds and tables to have them. Some nights I'd be up all night with him.

Good luck! I hope it works out ok for you. She's so young.