How many meals/day?

Thread: How many meals/day?

DefaultHow many meals/day?

We are having a discussion in our house and hope that someone may be able to settle a disagreement for us.....
    How many meals a day should a lab eat? 2 split up? 1 larger meal? Someone told my husband that our dog should only eat once a day, and that way he won't be so eager to have both meals because the one larger one would help him feel more full and 2 smaller once doesn't leave him satisfied (he is whining to eat about an hour before we are usually ready in the am and pm - which is 6-30am & 530-6 pm).
    Rocky is (an adorable) 83 lb 19 month old male lab. He is very active - park usually once a day and about an hour of walking. He lazes around on the couch most of the rest of the time. I personally don't think he will ever be "satisfied" he is a pig!
    So, anyone have any thoughts/evidence based info? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How many meals/day?

I feed twice a day. I think most people do. I don't want my dog eating that much food all in one meal, plus I wouldn't want to have all MY meals in one huge meal. My dog really looks forward to her breakfast and dinner.....and the odd light snack in between.

Generally, if it is not a problem I would say feeding 2X a day would leave him for satisfied throughout the day. If he seems hungry by late afternoon maybe add a little to the morning meal and take some from the evening meal.
    I am still feeding scrubs 3X a day (1 cup each), but i come home for lunch every day so its easy (basically when i eat a meal so does she). Assuming dogs are like people, then the more smaller meals the better. If anyone thinks otherwise i am open for suggestions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would agree.As a pup i'd feed him 3 times a day with the lunch being half the ammount as that of the breakfast and dinner..Having raised GSD's and tibetan mastiffs i have found out that feeding one huge meal always hurt to get your dog to get into shape...Just like humans..

I'm guess the person that recommended once a day feeding doesn't own a large breed dog. It is much better to feed at least two meals a day to reduce the chances of bloat.

Several diet-related factors were associated with a higher incidence of bloat. These include feeding only dry food, or feeding a single large daily meal.
    http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...5091&O=Generic

As the others mentioned, I'd definitely stick with twice a day feeding.

Two times a day with training treats in between .

Katy Guest

If I was home during the day I'd like to feed mine 3 times. Early morning, noon and evening. I don't have any scientific reasoning for this, but it would help keep them going through the day, especially if they are really active little boys.

Sedonarona is offline Member

Look at the paws on that puppy! Gonna be a big one!

debjen is offline Senior Member

I feed 3 times a day but then my dog has bloated twice so they recommend smaller more frequent meals. It means coming home at lunch or sending lunch with him to daycare but he's worth it and luckily my daycare is more than willing to work with me on his feeding schedule.