Dog & Cat Food Recall (02/05/14)

Thread: Dog & Cat Food Recall (02/05/14)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog & Cat Food Recall (02/05/14)

February 5, 2014 – Pro-Pet LLC of St. Marys, Ohio has announced a voluntary recall of a limited number of dry dog and cat foods for possible Salmonella contamination.

According to the FDA, a single field test indicated products manufactured during a two-day period and on the same line of production may have the potential to contain the bacteria.

There have been no reports of illness related to this product to date.

What’s Being Recalled?

The three affected brands include:
    •Hubbard Life
    •Joy Combo
    •QC Plus

For Lot #s and more information, see:
    Pro-Pet Dog Food Recall

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DuryLane is offline Member

Pet food recalls are so troubling to hear about.......

All I can say is, all these pet food recalls is one of the main reasons I choose to feed my dogs a home-made diet.....well worth the peace of mind.

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

I agree totally
    THIS IS MY PET PEEV
    Many are major brands too.
    Right now I am feeding Moses (Wellness Puppy) recommended by my vet.
    If they have a recall on this will have a FIT!!!!
    Most cost a fortune too.
    You see in the pet stores Chicken strips with real (chicken) a little bag cost 10 bucks ..this would be a couple of treats for Moses.
    Can buy ..when onl sale for 1.99 lbs.. a lot of real CHICJEN (5LBS) for 10 bucks

I am honestly looking to feed Moses the best I can
    Can you please share what u are feeding your pup(even by private message)
    Feel too.. if I can just start of by feeding some GOOD HOMEMADE treats and keep kibble the same
    Will start (recall training) soon on this I plan on real chicken and beef
    don't mind cooking for my dog (so I am genuinely interested)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The diet I feed my dog consists of a combination of raw and cooked foods.

I feed the following foods to my dog, Tilley, a 3.5 year old black Lab:

Raw beef and pork; Turkey and chicken tends to be cooked because Tilley doesn't really care for it when it is raw. I usually feed meat at her evening meal, including some raw beef liver, kidney or pork spleen -- the organ meats are every other day. In the morning, she will usually get a cooked egg daily, along with a rotation of plain balkan style yogurt, ricotta cheese, canned sardines in spring water, wild pacific salmon, or canned smoked kippers (I wouldn't have included smoked kippers but she really likes them so I include them).

If a real food is healthy and nutritious, I may try it with Tilley to see how she likes it. That includes hard cheese (not too much because she'll put on weight), cottage cheese, sometimes 1/2 cup of various kinds of cooked vegetables, but rarely any starchy veggies such as potatoes. I do not feed her any grains, although that's a personal choice.

Really, the choice is endless, as long as its a healthy, nutritious food, I will consider including it in her diet ......I keep the selection of meats I feed her on the lean side.

For her source of calcium, I will give her some pork neck bones to eat every couple of days. I don't give her any kind of beef bones because they are too hard, not edible and can cause dental damage.

To top off her diet, she gets 100 IU of Vitamin E daily. If I have any healthy leftovers, she will get them too (veggies, or meat)

This works for us...... If you're thinking its one heck of an expensive diet, really, it's not. I was shocked when I saw the price of some of those "high quality" kibbles! I don't usually spend that much per pound of food that I buy for Tilley, because I keep my eye of grocery flyers and stock up when meats, dairy, etc. are on sale....For instance, our local grocery store had 300g of ricotta cheese on sale for $1.00, so I bought 12 of them! The expiry dates are fairly long, so I will feed it to Tilley over the next several weeks!

Surprisingly, for the variety of various different foods that I feed to my dog, she only had diarrhea once, when she was 5 months old, and that's because I fed her too much liver at once. I read about these owners whose dog's can't eat barely any variety of food because they get terrible diarrhea. I've been feeding my dog a home-made diet with all the variety since I got her at 8 weeks, and I swear the variety I have exposed her to since they day I brought her home is why she has never had an intestinal upset, except, like I said, that one time when she was a pup.

There are alot of email lists that one can join to learn more about a real food diet....some are a bit extreme in their philosophy, which I don't care for, but others are very understanding, patient and willing to help owners who want to transition their dogs onto a real food diet.....I highly recommend joining those ones. They will answer any questions you have and help you along the way to guide you to feeding your dog the healthiest way you can....

Give it some serious though!.....you would not regret it......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo B View Post
    You see in the pet stores Chicken strips with real (chicken) a little bag cost 10 bucks ..this would be a couple of treats for Moses.
    Can buy ..when onl sale for 1.99 lbs.. a lot of real CHICJEN (5LBS) for 10 bucks

I am honestly looking to feed Moses the best I can
    Can you please share what u are feeding your pup(even by private message)
    Feel too.. if I can just start of by feeding some GOOD HOMEMADE treats and keep kibble the same
    Will start (recall training) soon on this I plan on real chicken and beef
    don't mind cooking for my dog (so I am genuinely interested)
    Oh yeah, I've seen a 1kg bag of chicken strips for pets priced at $23.99. Holy smokes, that's ridiculous! Never mind the price for beef jerky!

I pick up boneless, skinless, chicken breast when it's on sale for $2.99 - $3.99 lb. and slice it very thin and bake at very low temperature in my convection oven for about 2-3 hours.....Voila!....Homemade chicken strips, without all the chemicals and preservatives, for a fraction of the price. And, they didn't come from China, it's right from my kitchen! I do the same with eye of round when it's on sale or beef heart, and Voila!.....beef jerky for Tilley! Meat and nothing else, no chemical, no preservative, just good, wholesome, real meat.

Great treat, homemade, and, well, as far as Tilley's concerned, it gets the grade of A+++ for taste!, LOL, LOL

Thanks great info.
    Right now ..dong a lot of training with Moses
    They recommend that you give your dog something special when training...I am definitely going to start out today making the chicken strips,,
    Right now giving Moses carrots, a boiled egg every other day.Wellness puppy food....some green beans
    Lot's of treats when training (some treats my not be that good what I am giving) the treats will now be chicken strips made with real chicken..(maybe this will help Moses training too) real chicken.
    Most likely spending ..way .... over 15 dollars a week in junk treats
    Question,,,once I make these strips how long can they keep them in the frig.. more or less then 5 days

once I make these strips how long can they keep them in the frig.. more or less then 5 days
    Because they will be dehydrated, they will keep in the frig for a couple of weeks. So far, I've done chicken breast, beef, beef heart, liver and kidney. All happily devoured by the dogs, LOL.

Thanks
    Tried to make the chicken jerky yesterday.
    Just tested it on less then a pound of chicken.
    It did not come out right (but nothing I try to cook for the first time does)
    I know to leave it in the over longer next time.and cut it thinner
    Good news is it did not go to waste..( IT IS STILL A GOOD TREAT)It was not perfect but it is enough healthy training treats for Moses for a couple of days
    Plan to do this every week
    Lot of ice here,,but yesterday I found a empty parking lot (salt free and ice free)..made Moses work for his new treat
    Now ..Moses get's kibble , carrots, beans an boiled egg every other day,,and chicken treats i
    One more question.
    I plan an keeping the above diet for Moses but can you please recommend one more treat.
    A treat that will natural treat that will last a couple of Minutes

One more question.
    I plan an keeping the above diet for Moses but can you please recommend one more treat.
    A treat that will natural treat that will last a couple of Minutes
    I'm not sure what you are asking about another type of treat.....one that will take longer to eat than gulping a piece of jerky? Please clarify and I will try to help.

When you do your jerky, if you slice your chicken breast when it is partially frozen, it will be much easier to cut thin slices. If you slice too thick, it will take forever to dry the meat or it may not dry as hard and clean as you would like. I usually start to check the jerky after two hours....sometimes, it needs to dry a bit longer, closer to three hours or so, sometimes not.

With the liver, I have boiled it first for a couple of minutes and when once cooled, sliced it thinner and then put it into the oven to dry. I find it near impossible to try and slice fresh liver.....to squishy and slippery.

Beef or beef heart dries nicely...do the same as with the chicken, slice when mostly frozen and you can get the slices nice and thin then, which will help to dry properly.

[QUOTE=DuryLane;1918050]I'm not sure what you are asking about another type of treat.....one that will take longer to eat than gulping a piece of jerky? Please clarify and I will try to help.

A treat that will take long to eat.. the longer the better