Horrible breath
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Horrible breath

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    69

    QuestionHorrible breath

    Hanna has horrible breath now than usual though she has always had bad breath ever since I got her. She used to willingly chew on anything, mainly just rawhide but doesn't like to as much and it would actually clean up her teeth a bit. I'm starting to think it's her teeth that are bothering her. I'd honestly like to get her teeth cleaned at the vets but that is just too much money I heard so is there anything else I could to do to cut down on the plaque/tartar build up or should I be more worried about getting her checked out for an underlying illness? I already brush her teeth sometimes since I forget a lot.

    This is what her teeth look like:



    "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    lablover34198 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Posts
    125

    Default

    If it was my lab I would get her a check up at the vet, even to ask advice. Have u tried brushing her teeth?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lablover34198 View Post
    If it was my lab I would get her a check up at the vet, even to ask advice. Have u tried brushing her teeth?
    Yes, I said that above. Maybe I should be brushing more often then?


    "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    DuryLane's Avatar
    DuryLane is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Pick yourself up a dental scaler and try scraping some of that tartar off by yourself. If you already brush your dog's teeth, gently scraping some tartar off will help to keep plague from building up.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuryLane View Post
    Pick yourself up a dental scaler and try scraping some of that tartar off by yourself. If you already brush your dog's teeth, gently scraping some tartar off will help to keep plague from building up.
    Is that even safe to do? I've thought about that though.


    "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

  8. #6
    yellowbelly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Or try a raw marrow bone. Or a weekly turkey neck.

  9. #7
    DuryLane's Avatar
    DuryLane is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesilentone View Post
    Is that even safe to do? I've thought about that though.
    Yup, as long as your dog is tolerant of you mucking around her mouth. I do it with my dogs and they actually tolerate me picking at their teeth with a dental scaler better than when I stick a toothbrush in their mouth. Each dog is different, but just to let you know it's an idea and it works good with my dogs......

  10. #8
    DuryLane's Avatar
    DuryLane is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    Or try a raw marrow bone. Or a weekly turkey neck.
    Only thing is, marrow bones can damage, crack or break teeth, so it is sort of use at your own risk type of bone. Turkey necks can be choking hazzards if a dog is not used to chewing safely or is a "gulper".....I had one dog in the past that was a gulper and scared the wits out of me when she tried to swallow a turkey neck whole to save herself the trouble of chewing it up.....I had to literally shove my hand down her throat and try to pull it out.....needless to say, she never got another whole turkey neck.....couldn't be trusted to chew it safely.....

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuryLane View Post
    Only thing is, marrow bones can damage, crack or break teeth, so it is sort of use at your own risk type of bone. Turkey necks can be choking hazzards if a dog is not used to chewing safely or is a "gulper".....I had one dog in the past that was a gulper and scared the wits out of me when she tried to swallow a turkey neck whole to save herself the trouble of chewing it up.....I had to literally shove my hand down her throat and try to pull it out.....needless to say, she never got another whole turkey neck.....couldn't be trusted to chew it safely.....
    I've only given my dogs beef soup bones every now and then, nothing like knuckle bones or anything like that. Knuckle bones are too hard IMO and can most certainly crack/chip their teeth. I also gave my Lab a leftover raw turkey neck two Thanksgivings ago and she actually took her time crunching on it... all dogs are different though. I wouldn't prefer to give raw chicken or turkey necks any other time.


    "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

  12. #10
    DuryLane's Avatar
    DuryLane is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesilentone View Post
    I've only given my dogs beef soup bones every now and then, nothing like knuckle bones or anything like that. Knuckle bones are too hard IMO and can most certainly crack/chip their teeth. I also gave my Lab a leftover raw turkey neck two Thanksgivings ago and she actually took her time crunching on it... all dogs are different though. I wouldn't prefer to give raw chicken or turkey necks any other time.
    My current dog, Tilley, is a very careful chewer, but, she has been exposed to raw meaty bones since they day I brought her home as a wee babe. The other dog, the one I reffered to in my post, didn't get started on raw foods until she was about 18 months, so she was not accustomed to carefully chewing raw meaty bones.

    Actually, since your dog chews her bones safely, why not consider giving her raw chicken or turkey more often? They are nutritious and satisfy a dog's urge to chew. Plus, they do help to keep the teeth cleaner......my dog gets a raw meaty pork neck bone about every other day and she loves it! Pork bones are soft enough for a dog to chew up completely and eat.

Similar Threads

  1. Short of Breath
    By Jade62 in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 10:02 PM
  2. Bad Breath
    By raidernation in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 07:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25