General Issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Issues

DefaultGeneral Issues

Hey All,

I am the proud father of a 6 week old yellow lab (Petals). I raised a lab and never had any of the following issues that I am seeing. I have seen a Vet and I got some answers but one I didn't

1) Has spots on her skin, they are like little scabs and she scratches at them. The vet told me it is Staph and gave me antibiotics and some shampoo to use and I should see good results in a week. How common is this in puppies?

2) She licks herself very often and the Vet told me it is because she is not doing a good job cleaning herself right now and that I should get baby wipes and help her out after she is done going to the bathroom

3) I don't have the answer for this one! Petals belly is mostly black (yellow lab) she is mostly black with a splotch of pink. Is this normal? The Vet did look at her belly and didn't even mention it to me, but as I read on the INTERNET it got me concerned that it could be something worse.

In general, the Vet told me that Pedals looks like a VERY healthy lab and she should be fine with the antibiotics. I am just wondering what you guys think.

Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: General Issues

Mocha had a staph infection on her belly last summer she really didn't have any scabs though it was just red rash. I don't know if it's normal with a staph to get scabs but she didn't. I was also given the antibiotics and shampoo for her and it did clear it up within a week she was almost a year old when she got it and it was from swimming in a lake with a lot of algee and not getting a bath after. If you don't see results in a week or she starts scratching I'd go back and ask for a skin scraping for some kind of mange.

The licking could be from the infection as well I would think but it wouldn't hurt to wipe it off some female puppies get UTI's a lot from squatting to low and getting stuff in there and wiping it off will help prevent that as well.

I have no idea on a black stomach though that would worry me has it been like this the whole time or just show up? Did you get her from a breeder you trust? If so I would call them and see if it's a trait of their pups or if they have any ideas. I think it would concern me if I knew she was purebred (which she looks to be) but I'm not sure maybe others will have more insite on this.

Thanks for the quick answer,

First I said scab but I don't know that they are scabs they are crusty like scabs and the vet look at the crusty stuff under a microsope and confirmed it was staph.

I still have the breeders information and maybe I should call him and just drop him a line and see if it is the breeding. She is a purebred, is it possible for me to have papers and it not be a purebred? Is there anyway to check?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry I don't really have advice to give but wanted to say that Petals is positively adorable!
    ~Lindsay

She says thank you.......She is needed on this side. If you want to know why she is needed by us you can check out my blog at http://blog.myspace.com/shamrox999. Warning it is a tear jerker. But to get back to Petals she makes me smile everyday!!!!!!!!

1. staph infections are pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't clear up with the meds.

2. Take a good look and see if she has an inverted vulva...if so, she'll be more prone to UTIs and could be why shes paying so much attention down there.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

3. Completely normal for a yellow puppy to have dark/black skin...shows good pigment

Good luck with your pup!

Thank you so much for that and for your information she is an outie

She is absolutely adorable!!! ;D ;D ;D

Hope your pup gets better fast - she's cute. Still can not believe that 'breeders' let their pups go at 6 weeks! Wish every state had a law that they couldn't be sold until 8 weeks.

Very sad story about ZuZu. I understand why you wanted to get another puppy. I couldn't imagine my life without Toby anymore and we have only had him since end of January. He is almost 18 weeks old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast