1/2 and 1/2 poop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 and 1/2 poop

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default1/2 and 1/2 poop

WOOT!!! My very first POOP question!!

Ender has 1/2 and 1/2 poop... part mush and part solid. I hate to change his food and deal with the whole upset stomach/food switching thing so I'm wondering if I should give him something to firm up his stools? Canned pumpkin?

Any words of advice? Right now he only gets his Innova LB puppy food, little bit of peanut butter in a kong 2 times per day, cheerios are his treats... and that's about it. He get NO table scraps and we stopped giving him the liver treats because of gas. Not regularly, but when he is home in his crate alone I give him a frozen kong with 1/2 banana mashed, plain non-fat yogurt, and a bit of peanut butter to plug the end.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 1/2 and 1/2 poop

Innova is a very rich food and high in calories. You might be feeding too much. Try cutting back and see if that helps firm up the stool. You should have to start adding to stuff to a puppy's food. If the stools don't improve, then the food isn't working for him.
    <br />Oregon

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I wasn't able to use Innova for Zoe for that same reason. She never had firm poops on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ahhhh... we ARE feeding too much. I feel like a moron now. I just found this site...
    http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...o.x=15&go.y=12
    ~Lindsay

I will try cutting back first since I'm a bit scared of switching foods... see if that helps. He always eats as if he's starving though... either that or he loves the food!
    ~Lindsay

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

LOL ... glad you found a solution!

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I think it takes a while to get their systems used to new foods too, even beyond the gradual switching phase... Unless he gets full out diahrrea I would leave him on it (reduce the amount as you've said) to give him time to fully adjust.

I think some people do use green beans as a filler though, just so that their dogs have more volume to eat with less calories!
    ~Jo & CoCo

LarrytheLab is offline Senior Member

I would cut it back and give him some more time. When we first started Larry on the ProPlan Sensitive Stomach, he started having loose stools too (longer than the normal week switch). Then, like you're saying with Ender, it started being half and half. Finally his system adjusted to it, and his poops are fine now. I would definitely try cutting it back before trying a switch. Good luck!
    Doyle and Larry<br /><br />

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I agree to give it more time a lot of puppies have looser stools for a while. I know Mocha did. Our breeder suggested giving her cottage chesse twice a day to help balance the bacteria in their system. I did and I think it helped.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I did want to give Ender a little while more to adjust to the Innova food before thinking of switching him... also would help if I fed him less... sheesh I feel stupid now giving him 3 cups per day!

If feeding him less doesn't work (and I'll give him a week)... I'll think about the other options.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast