Spots on tummy, around armpits & in ears

Thread: Spots on tummy, around armpits & in ears

jjkroell is offline Member

DefaultSpots on tummy, around armpits & in ears

Our little Libby has had this 'rash' for a couple weeks now. We took her to the vet and he checked the spots with a blacklight (they glowed greenish). He prescribed a topical anti-bacterial/fungal cream which has done nothing. I'm starting to think they could be hives from something she is allergic to but not sure where to even start.

Her ears were smelling very sweet in the past couple of days, she hasn't been overly scratching them but we haven't cleaned them since we got her (2 months ago). I used the purple stuff and nothing out of the ordinary came out of her ears today.

Here is a picture this morning of her tummy/vulva area.

Any ideas?

Libby - 11 Sep 2013

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well another deposit to the vet retirement fund.. He thinks it's allergies and gave me some antibiotics to help with the rash on the skin so it doesn't get infected. Told me to switch food, something with the protein that is not poultry based.

Libby - 11 Sep 2013

MyNala is offline Junior Member

Don't know if it is the same thing, but your description & picture sounds a lot like what used to happen with Nala. I attached a picture so you could see - red bumps, redness in the skin, sometimes full-blown hives - under armpits & on the belly. In Nala's case it was an allergy to chicken. When she did break out the best remedy was a shampoo from the vet (I think it was called Etiderm?). 2x weekly baths with that would clear her up.

The choices for good quality foods without poultry are kind of limited. If it is a poultry allergy make sure to read labels closely. Nala would break out even from chicken fat & "poultry byproduct." What finally worked for us was Purina Pro Plan Select - sensitive skin & stomach (fish based). Nala did wonderfully on that stuff for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks MyNala.. looks pretty close, hard to see 100% though. We are moving her to Horizon Pulsar Fish Formula for food and if that doesn't help we have to start the exclusion diet (yipppeeee!). Will be a long process but in the end it will benefit Libby. I can't imagine being feed something constantly , being allergic to it and having those reactions and NOT being able to tell anyone about it!

Libby - 11 Sep 2013

Here are a few more from tonight:
    Tummy:

Armpit:

Starting to think it is a reaction to the food, we're making the switch and will update soon

MyNala is offline Junior Member

Glad to help!

Nala's food trials took about a year. So not fun! (Feed food item...wait for breakout...clear up breakout...try new food item...rinse & repeat!). It was helpful in the long run because by the end of it we had fairly clear evidence that chicken was what set her off. But it was a pretty miserable process for my dog, not to mention expensive (hypoallergenic foods in between trials + vet visits). We went that route because the vet insisted on it.

Forgot to mention the Benadryl. When the breakouts were severe the vet would give her a shot of it and I had her on Benadryl tablets until she cleared up (vet's instructions). It made her queasy and she didn't like it, but it helped with the hives (in addition to the shampoo & occasional antibiotics).

One last thing - good advice from a vet regarding dogs with food allergies - keep a protein source in reserve once you identify the offending protein. Something your dog NEVER gets (treats, food, etc.), but can tolerate. According to my vet dogs with one food allergy often develop another one later in life. Our reserve was lamb. Nala did fine on the fish, but just in case she ever didn't I had lamb as a backup to switch to. Also - avoid corn, wheat, & soy. They are irritants and allergy dogs generally have problems with those as well.

Best of luck and hope your girl does well on the new food!

Well.. wasn't clearing up so back to the vet. Did a skin scraping and voila... Demodectic Mange... ARG! Should be happy it's not allergies but still quite the treatment plan!

Libby - 11 Sep 2013

Eresh is offline Senior Member

At least you know and can treat it. One of my dogs had something that looked similar. It cleared up as soon as we stopped giving her food with chicken.